• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building Insurance company suing me for damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

colozza

I was involved in an accident at the beginning of 2012 where my car hit the side of my garage of the property that I am currently renting. As I pulled into my driveway a spider came out of nowhere and I got freaked out and accidentally smashed my car into the automatic garage door and side of the garage itself. It was a rather large accident as my car was completely written off. At the time our landlord said he had building insurance and that it would be covered so I agreed to pay him the excess which ended up being $1200. Almost a year after the event the insurance company called me and said that I am liable for the full amount which is $12,000.00. At the time of the accident no one told me I would be liable for the damage I just assumed his insurance would cover it. Is there anyway of fighting this? I make very little as it is and currently have a number of outstanding debts like for my car and credit cards.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">