• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my homeowners insurance be sued for....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txcookla

What is the name of your state (TEXAS)?
I live in a townhouse, which is on a common slab with three other townhouses, lined up in a row. My townhouse is the fourth one, on the outside end of the slab. My end of the slab is settling and needs pier work. I do not have the money at this time for repairs. My next door neighbors claim my slab problems are causing cracks and issues inside their townhouse and are saying their insurance company will sue mine to pay for their repairs and my slab work. Can this be done, and IF they do accomplish this will it affect my insurance, possibly having the company (State Farm) cancel me?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (TEXAS)?
I live in a townhouse, which is on a common slab with three other townhouses, lined up in a row. My townhouse is the fourth one, on the outside end of the slab. My end of the slab is settling and needs pier work. I do not have the money at this time for repairs. My next door neighbors claim my slab problems are causing cracks and issues inside their townhouse and are saying their insurance company will sue mine to pay for their repairs and my slab work. Can this be done, and IF they do accomplish this will it affect my insurance, possibly having the company (State Farm) cancel me?
Do you live in a complex with an HOA? If its a common slab it would seem to me that this would be common area maintenance issue.

txcookla

HOA dues only pay for upkeep of common grounds, nothing at all pertaining to the townhouses themselves.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your insurance won't be sued...YOU would be sued. Your insurance would defend you...

HomeGuru

HOA dues only pay for upkeep of common grounds, nothing at all pertaining to the townhouses themselves.
**A: read your CC&R's to see if the slab is the unit owners responsibility (limited common element) or the HOA's (common element). Generally a shared townhouse concrete slab is a general common area component. And it appears that there is a foundation/soil problem, that may be the HOA responsiblity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">