• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they change your rate during the term?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmennen

I purchased homeowners insurance thru Farmers for my home in California. I had paid for the entire year in advance, but then a few months before the end of the term they sent me a bill for $120 to cover a rate increase. (The rate increase was caused by the fact that I had recently cancelled my auto insurance with them and so I no longer qualified for the home/auto discount). Is it legal for them to change the rate of a policy that has already been paid for? I didn't pay it, but then when the policy expired (which I didn't renew), they sent me another bill. Do I have to pay it?

Thanks
~Paul

You Are Guilty

I purchased homeowners insurance thru Farmers for my home in California. I had paid for the entire year in advance, but then a few months before the end of the term they sent me a bill for $120 to cover a rate increase. (The rate increase was caused by the fact that I had recently cancelled my auto insurance with them and so I no longer qualified for the home/auto discount). Is it legal for them to change the rate of a policy that has already been paid for? I didn't pay it, but then when the policy expired (which I didn't renew), they sent me another bill. Do I have to pay it?

Thanks
~Paul
So to be clear - you received a multi-policy discount, and you canceled one of the policies which triggered the discount, and now you are not sure whether you owe the difference between what you paid with the discount and what you would owe without the discount?

If so, the answer seems pretty obvious.

JustAPal00

So to be clear - you received a multi-policy discount, and you canceled one of the policies which triggered the discount, and now you are not sure whether you owe the difference between what you paid with the discount and what you would owe without the discount?

I'll say!!

pmennen

Well, yes ... I thought that is what I said in my message. At any rate, you paraphrased well.

I'm a little surprised the answer is so obvious. Aren't there lots of things that can change during the term of the policy? I don't think there are many of them that give them the right to change the rate. I think they can't do that even if you have a terrible accident. (Although they can certainly change the rate when you try to renew). I'm sure there are situations where they can just cancel the policy. Non-payment is certainly going to be one of them, although that didn't apply to me. Illegal activity ... probably. Although cancelling my auto insurance certainly isn't legal.

If someone sells me a computer at a discount because I'm a republican, and then 9 months later I switch loyalties, can he come back and demand that I pay him the difference? I suppose he could if I signed a contract saying I would. Perhaps I did this with the insurance contract, although unfortunately I no longer have a copy. Do they really have a clause in the contract that I have to keep the auto insurance for the full term?

BTW, it wasn't like I got the auto insurance just to get the discount, and then canceled it. (I doubt that would ever be an advantage financially anyway). They pretty much forced my hand on that by quoting me a rate that was double what I could get elsewhere when I tried to add my son to the auto policy.

~Paul

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your RATE is not changing. You are simply no longer receiving a discount.

pmennen

Your RATE is not changing. You are simply no longer receiving a discount.
Actually I think I was remembering wrong. I believe I didn't actually cancel the auto policy, but just failed to renew it with them. Does that make any difference? Also if my auto policy expired half way thru the homeowners policy, are they allowed to bill me for the entire discount (as they did), or can they charge me for only half?

By the way, I still think that removing a discount IS changing my rate.

~Paul

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually I think I was remembering wrong. I believe I didn't actually cancel the auto policy, but just failed to renew it with them. Does that make any difference? Also if my auto policy expired half way thru the homeowners policy, are they allowed to bill me for the entire discount (as they did), or can they charge me for only half?
That depends on the terms of the discount.

~Paul
But, it's not. Sure, it's the same net effect, but it's a different way of getting there.

justalayman

~Paul
as you were told: your rates didn't change. You were given a discount for having multiple policies. Once you no longer had multiple policies with them, the discount was no longer given.
Yes, you owe the money.

you should receive the discount for the period which you had multiple policies unless there was something in the contract that required you to have multiple policies during the entire term.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">