• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated do to the death of homeowner and death of partner (my sister)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmckeen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.
1st of all my 83 yr old mother is the mortgage holder of the propety. the claim started before any of the deaths. the claim for water damages to bathroom and kitchen was approved approx 14,000.00 work started. then the homeowner died check written in the estate of homeowner and my sister however the homeowner had children (adult) and they wanted the money... work had started and the money was due to the contractor and the suppliers for the materials. ( since the insurance was paid to protect the investment) so the check couldnt get cashed so my sister borrowed money from my mother to get the suppliers paid and the contractor paid. then my sister fought with the insurance company and they sent another check to the estate of the deceased homeowner my mother and my sister. then my sister dies. where should we begin? is there any time limitations? the property is in flint and is up for sale and the estate is in probate their is more owed to my mother than what we can list the property for, our only help in recouping any money could be from this check that the insurance has approved from a claim. confused: Please. let me know where to start.

moburkes

Write it again, but use #s for the steps. I'm confused. Your mom owned the property but did not live there? Did she have a non-owner's policy? Those are my 1st 2 questions.

But separate each thought cause they are getting jumbled. Sorry.

cmckeen

uncashable insurance claim check do to deaths

1. check received from ins co for damages in 2 names but 1 person had died
so sister had asked for check to be re written.

(this person was formerly the husband of my sister but the had ben divorced for aprox 8 years but still living in the home. they had no children together. but both had children from previous relationships)

2. another check received from ins co came in 3 peoples name. estate of... and sisters name... and mothers name....

3. sister dies... her estate is still in probate.

4 the estate of the man has been closed.

5. no my mother has never lived there and has nerer had an insurance policy there. only has cash invested into the purchase and to the repairs it took to get the water damages taken care of in the bathroom and the kitchen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">