• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Computer damaged in another's care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

younger5th

(I'm in CT.)

Hey there.
I have a complicated situation so I'll try to lay it out simply. I'm 21, a college student, and have very limited funds. 3-4 years ago I bought a laptop from Best Buy, and a few months ago I had it repaired (minor cosmetic damage from a drop) just because the warranty of 3 years was almost up. I get the computer back after a month and it a few days after, I realize a couple things are wrong with it - a couple broken panels, lights flickered etc. They had taken it apart completely and screwed around with it and essentially giving it back to me in worse condition than I left it with. My warranty was over and I highly doubt that (now after a week) Best Buy would take any responsibility - so I take it to my local PC store and ask for a quote.
- At this point the non working parts included the power button (so it wouldn't turn on) and the media panel - that's it.

So I leave my computer with them and then comes Hurricane Irene - it floods the store and destroys anything left of my laptop that was working fine like: the screen, the body, the 2 hard drives (and all the info on them), the processor, the battery, and some others. I go in the shop after the hurricane and saw my machine covered in mud. I asked why they didn't think to take precaution and move everything to a shelf and the owner points to a 1ft high shelf under a bench "it was on a shelf, did you except 2ft of rain?" I asked if they had flood insurance and he said it wasn't offered in the area.

So I go to check out my laptop and he tells me to not touch it because he's taking pictures to document the damages (50k for all the lost equipment) for when FEMA comes around. I say okay I'll come back after I take some pictures myself to prove they had it. So I come back a few weeks from then, which was earlier today and I ask about the status of FEMA. The guy tells me that FEMA told him they didn't help businesses and essentially waved him away.

I talked with him more and asked if compensation was possible. He said because the computer was broken when I brought it in, that I couldn't get anything for it. I told him that there were perfectly fine working parts that were worth money - at LEAST $300, and that it wasn't right for me to get nothing. He said that when they receive a broken computer, they pay $25 dollars and throw it away - so if i wanted to, i could do that. I didn't even know what to argue at this point. I tried several times to make it clear that the computer's value was FAR more than $25 dollars BEFORE the flood. I asked if they had any comparable computers available and he tried to BS some Asus Aspire would be as good if i wanted to buy it for $600 (later found out it was $400 online). I asked if I bought it (which I would never have because it didn't suit my needs) if he would have knocked it down a couple hundred to compensate for my loss and he said no.

I took my reliable $1400 laptop from 3 years ago, covered in mud, in pieces, and walked out. He claims it's not his fault and that my computer was worth near nothing even BEFORE the flood. I claim that the parts inside the computers were still worth money and I should be reimbursed for was WASNT broken.

I apologize for the long story. It's really hard for me to be screwed over twice and having to swallow my loses when to think only a few months ago I had a perfectly fine working computer with a few blemishes.

Any advice as to what course of action I should take? I appreciate the help..

(if it makes a difference - computer is a Gateway P-6860fx with an extra 320GB WD Scorpio Blue HDD and an Intel t9300 processor.)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Laptop parts are not cross compatible like desktop parts. And some desktops are proprietary; one cannot take a video card from a Gateway and put it in a Dell.

Computers are like cars. Once you take them off the shelf, they've lost value. So a PC that you paid $1600 for is worth less than $300 4 years later because of the progression of hardware.

Mass_Shyster

You described this as a functioning laptop with a couple of things wrong with it (broken panels, lights flickering). That is a far cry from a $25 throw away.

amazon.com is currently selling this model used for $299 to $725.

I would send the repair shop a letter demanding compensation of $299 to $725 for the laptop that was destroyed while in their care. If they don't satisfy you, sue them in small claims court.

OHRoadwarrior

The problem you face is two-fold. First you need to establish the value of your computer. The second is you need to subtract the repair costs to fix it. Unfortunately, the only credible source for a used price is from one of the buy back companies. Your computer needs about $100 worth of repair I project. Here is the part you are not going to like.
Cash For Laptops - Sell used Laptops or Broken Devices

They will pay $110 for your laptop. Giving you a $10 provable value.

You could try getting quotes from other computer places as to what they would purchase it for as-is however I don't think the price will increase significantly. Your laptop is reaching the end of its "average" life.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You described this as a functioning laptop with a couple of things wrong with it (broken panels, lights flickering). That is a far cry from a $25 throw away.

amazon.com is currently selling this model used for $299 to $725.

I would send the repair shop a letter demanding compensation of $299 to $725 for the laptop that was destroyed while in their care. If they don't satisfy you, sue them in small claims court.
No he didn't. He also said this:

At this point the non working parts included the power button (so it wouldn't turn on) and the media panel
His first mistake was taking it to Best Buy, but I won't get into that now. :cool:

Mass_Shyster

No he didn't. He also said this:

His first mistake was taking it to Best Buy, but I won't get into that now. :cool:
Hmmm.... I read the first part that said "I realize a couple things are wrong with it - a couple broken panels, lights flickered etc"

Sounds kind of strange that Best Buy would return it as fixed when it could not turn on. I believe there is some information missing.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hmmm.... I read the first part that said "I realize a couple things are wrong with it - a couple broken panels, lights flickered etc"

Sounds kind of strange that Best Buy would return it as fixed when it could not turn on. I believe there is some information missing.
And if OP had noticed the problems with the screen flickering when OP brought the laptop home, Best Buy should have covered their 'repair' for 30 days, regardless of the PC's warranty. :cool:

younger5th

Ok I'm on my phone so I will try to make this quick.

- first I will never go to best buy ever again. I know much more about computers now and, have even fixed some, and probably know more than geeksquad does.

With that said, I carefully opened the top media panel to see what was causing the flickering and saw that the ribbon cable clips were broken on the motherboard. I didn't have any spare clips but I left my laptop there to see if they could check the parts on their other trashed laptops to see if they had any. Since the power button was working fine before I lifted up the media panel I figured bbuy would just blame me...hence my choice to seek parts and do it myself...I didn't want to wait another 30 days for them to mess up my laptop again.

- the parts in the laptop are not obsolete as they still perform better than a lot of low-end equiptment...I paid an extra 250 for the t9300 and another 70 for the extra hdd. Both hdd are still used today in good laptops..those were added about 1.5 years ago and 1 year ago respectively

Hope that clarifies a bit better..
To reiterate..not that it makes a diff since I wasn't going to work with bbuy again, the opened of the media panels disturbed the already broken connection...it was possible to power it up again..but I had to hold the ribbon to do so

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Ok I'm on my phone so I will try to make this quick.

- first I will never go to best buy ever again. I know much more about computers now and, have even fixed some, and probably know more than geeksquad does.

With that said, I carefully opened the top media panel to see what was causing the flickering and saw that the ribbon cable clips were broken on the motherboard. I didn't have any spare clips but I left my laptop there to see if they could check the parts on their other trashed laptops to see if they had any. Since the power button was working fine before I lifted up the media panel I figured bbuy would just blame me...hence my choice to seek parts and do it myself...I didn't want to wait another 30 days for them to mess up my laptop again.

- the parts in the laptop are not obsolete as they still perform better than a lot of low-end equiptment...I paid an extra 250 for the t9300 and another 70 for the extra hdd. Both hdd are still used today in good laptops..those were added about 1.5 years ago and 1 year ago respectively

Hope that clarifies a bit better..
To reiterate..not that it makes a diff since I wasn't going to work with bbuy again, the opened of the media panels disturbed the already broken connection...it was possible to power it up again..but I had to hold the ribbon to do so
Yeah, you broke your laptop. You should have taken it back to BB when you first noticed the problem. It was their responsibility to fix what they tore up. And they don't replace the clips, they'd have to replace the entire ribbon cable; and I'm willing to bet that it's a propietary cable. That's the way Gateway rolls.

Of course, with your VAST PC knowledge :)rolleyes:), I'm sure you realize that if you dropped the laptop, you've done some damage beyond minor scratching to the case. The only laptop I'm aware of that can be dropped without damage is a Panasonic ToughBook.

A three year old laptop IS obsolete, no matter what you want to believe about how super-cool neato it was.

younger5th

Yeah, you broke your laptop. You should have taken it back to BB when you first noticed the problem. It was their responsibility to fix what they tore up. And they don't replace the clips, they'd have to replace the entire ribbon cable; and I'm willing to bet that it's a propietary cable. That's the way Gateway rolls.

Of course, with your VAST PC knowledge :)rolleyes:), I'm sure you realize that if you dropped the laptop, you've done some damage beyond minor scratching to the case. The only laptop I'm aware of that can be dropped without damage is a Panasonic ToughBook.

A three year old laptop IS obsolete, no matter what you want to believe about how super-cool neato it was.
No, I didn't break it. I opened it to discover it was broken. And yes, maybe I should have taken it back, but I didn't.

Don't be ignorant. Were you there when it dropped? No. It was in my carrying case when it did so, and the damage was minor body damage, nothing more. It worked for the next few months until Best Buy touched it. We aren't questioning who "broke" the computer before the flood anyway so your point is null.

It definitely wasn't worthless either considering some people are selling it for more than 400 used. Yes, take out the motherboard and call it $200. I could have sold the parts and gotten money for it, but not anymore. If you take the engine out of a 3 year old car Lexus, it's value doesn't drop to zero if everything else works.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
No, I didn't break it. I opened it to discover it was broken. And yes, maybe I should have taken it back, but I didn't.

Don't be ignorant. Were you there when it dropped? No. It was in my carrying case when it did so, and the damage was minor body damage, nothing more. It worked for the next few months until Best Buy touched it. We aren't questioning who "broke" the computer before the flood anyway so your point is null.

It definitely wasn't worthless either considering some people are selling it for more than 400 used. Yes, take out the motherboard and call it $200. I could have sold the parts and gotten money for it, but not anymore. If you take the engine out of a 3 year old car Lexus, it's value doesn't drop to zero if everything else works.
Dude, I worked in Tech at a now defunct big-box store while you were still in Elementary school. I know how warranties work, how PCs are valued, repaired, etc etc. Enjoy your brick and break out the checkbook for another laptop. The one you have now is worthless any way you look at it and I doubt you'll get anything for it. :cool:

younger5th

I'm aware of depreciation, thanks OHR.

Dude, I worked in Tech at a now defunct big-box store while you were still in Elementary school. I know how warranties work, how PCs are valued, repaired, etc etc. Enjoy your brick and break out the checkbook for another laptop. The one you have now is worthless any way you look at it and I doubt you'll get anything for it. :cool:
So when everything worked fine minus the power button/media panel, you are saying my computer was worth $0. And what was is worth before that (assume my computer in perfect condition)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">