• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor and Public Adjuster Conflict-of-interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BarrierFree

Michigan
I am a Licensed Building and Remodeling Contractor in the State of Michigan. I am currently taking a class to obtain a Public Insurance Adjuster License. Is it illegal, or a conflict-of-interest for me to offer both of these services to a potential client?

BarrierFree

I should add that I just signed up for class today and I start next week. I tried searching for the laws or statutes but I have had no luck with this. Thanks

ecmst12

Yes, attempting to be insurance adjuster for the same client you are performing repairs for would definitely be a conflict of interest.

BarrierFree

I cant find the law or statute, but it could be a insurance regulation rule. I found one for Illinois that states it is not a conflict of interest as long as at least two other contractors submitted estimates. I do plan on completing the course for the knowledge in general, but I would like to know if or how I could legally and ethically use the Adjuster License to my company's benefit. Thanks.

Last edited:

justalayman

sounds like it would be a good question to ask your instructor. Michigan does tend to put ethics as an important part of their licensing. It wouldn't surprise me to see it viewed as a conflict but don't know.

BarrierFree

Thanks for your reply Justalayman. I could definitely see how it would be an ethics situation, obviously I am just trying to get the best competitive advantage possible but I don't want to cross any lines. This is Michigan after all, and I need any advantage I can find, lol.

BarrierFree

Answer

Follow up: I am now a Licensed Public Adjuster, and it turns out Michigan law does allow me to adjust and contract the same job as long as it is not caused by a fire. The law also states that I cannot own a fire restoration company while working as a public adjuster.

joyee

WEll as in my knowledge thi is not the illegal work for doing you can do this. and i know to my friend which do this work as well as doing his professional career work

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">