• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crazy things happened today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plzhelp0809

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? indiana

Okay so I'll set the picture for you all... Its been raining all week like crazy and finally we had a nice day out so I decided to mow my yard. We live out in the country so my yard it huge and uneven has inclines and declines... we'll I was coming off a decline which is at the edge of the road. The back tires of my riding lawn mower got stuck in the mud that was at the bottom of this decline next to the road. I look down to see if my tires were spinning and if they'd be able to catch something and me not be stuck...no sooner than they break loose a ford escape SUV comes flying down my back road and even though i stepped on the breaks it wasn't soon enough bc I hit their SUV in front of their back drivers tire. There was a 2 by 4 inch of plastic that got ate up. They asked my name, address, and phone number and said that their insurance would be getting a hold of me on Tuesday. Oh and that I'm lucky I wasn't in the hospital. The police weren't called but I called them and asked if there was any situation that happened like this and they haven't dealt with anything like it and had me call the sheriffs department where I got the same response. Am I in the wrong or is it their fault for not slowing down seeing me on the road? I called insurance companies trying to get information but they tell me to get a hold of MY renters insurance company even though I tell them I don't have any... Am I going to get sued? Is the insurance company going to write it up as an uninsured accident? How am I going to be effected and what should I do to cover my end?

justalayman

from your description, it would appear you hit them. That makes it your fault.

In fact, even you say you hit them:

I look down to see if my tires were spinning and if they'd be able to catch something and me not be stuck...no sooner than they break loose a ford escape SUV comes flying down my back road and even though i stepped on the breaks it wasn't soon enough bc I hit their SUV in front of their back drivers tire.
So, how is it their fault if you hit them. It was your responsibility to no run into a passing vehicle that was on the road. You had no legal right to be on the road let alone when there was traffic, that had a legal right to be on the road, already there.

Yes, it sounds like you were very lucky it wasn't worse. I suspect if you got traction an instant or two sooner, you might have pulled out in front of the vehicle and could have easily been killed.

The police weren't called but I called them and asked if there was any situation that happened like this and they haven't dealt with anything like it and had me call the sheriffs department where I got the same response.
just for your own sake, you should document who you called, when you called, and if you know, who you spoke to. While you shouldn't need it, you would have it if you do.

Am I going to get sued?
I don't know. Do you plan on paying for the damages you caused? If you pay what you are liable for, there is no reason to sue you. If you don't pay, it is likely you would get sued.

OHRoadwarrior

Sounds like the police and sheriff's office are not inclined to get involved in operation of an unregistered vehicle, as long as they do not hear from the other party complaining you refuse to pay for the damage.

moburkes

Yes, your fault and if you're unable or unwilling to pay for the damage yourself, when they contact you, forward their information to your homeowners insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">