• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

damage to house prior to closing (North Carolina)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emmd2001

I closed on a new house on 8/30/12. The contract was signed 7/16/12. The sellers signed the sellers disclosure on 6/12/12.

Unbeknownst to me at time of closing as I moved from a different state, the area the home I purchased is in had a bad hail storm on 7/1/12.

Over the past several weeks, I have noticed the majority of the homes in my neighborhood having their roof replaced due to damage from the storm. Being concerned, I contacted a roofing company for an inspection. The inspection did in fact reveal significant hail damage to the roof and gutters.

Since I did not own the home until 8/30/12, my homeowner's policy wouldn't cover the replacement. What recourse do I have at this point?

tammy8

Geez I hate those *my neighbors are all getting new roofs so why am I not?*. That being said we did some pretty bad storms on that date.

Why wasn't this discovered at the preclosing inspection?

Contact the prior owner's insurance company.

OHRoadwarrior

The prior owners insurance will likely not pay anything. It was your responsibility to inspect the property, prior to closing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">