• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied my claim then canceled me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessicau

Hi I made two claims one on chimney roof and smoke damage in living room which they covered at the same time I made a claim for garage roof and black mold water damage in basement there was a new roof in 2001 and gutters the same time as my house roof the adjuster came out climb the roof she said good you have gutters and only half is bad I Dont have gutters on the house and its good then we went down to the basement she was asking where the water was coming from I said I Dont know she kept asking my boyfriend said maybe the foundation isn't she suppose to know she took a few pictures she never even walk around outside and looked at the foundation I get a letter saying denied both so the next rain take my phone and video tape the water it was coming from sump pump I contact her and she sent a email to me I sent it and stated I wanted a second opinion on garage roof and black mold water damage basement today a week later I get a letter saying they are canceling me in November. I been with this company for 13 years and always paid on time yearly in full which I am paid till September 2017 also my father is on this policy for over 25plus years the letter says I have a small tree by porch a hole on deck a vehicle on blocks rough looking sheds and dry rot under front door the vehicles are no longer here was putting tires on for a friend there is one shed a dog house and chicken coop which are not rough looking debris in yard is from hauling all the wet and moldy items out in a pile so my family isn't breathing mold in and appliances that came from the basement she never said or asked me anything about this i feel its because I wanted a second opinion do you think I have a case

Silverplum

Hi I made two claims one on chimney roof and smoke damage in living room which they covered at the same time I made a claim for garage roof and black mold water damage in basement there was a new roof in 2001 and gutters the same time as my house roof the adjuster came out climb the roof she said good you have gutters and only half is bad I Dont have gutters on the house and its good then we went down to the basement she was asking where the water was coming from I said I Dont know she kept asking my boyfriend said maybe the foundation isn't she suppose to know she took a few pictures she never even walk around outside and looked at the foundation I get a letter saying denied both so the next rain take my phone and video tape the water it was coming from sump pump I contact her and she sent a email to me I sent it and stated I wanted a second opinion on garage roof and black mold water damage basement today a week later I get a letter saying they are canceling me in November. I been with this company for 13 years and always paid on time yearly in full which I am paid till September 2017 also my father is on this policy for over 25plus years the letter says I have a small tree by porch a hole on deck a vehicle on blocks rough looking sheds and dry rot under front door the vehicles are no longer here was putting tires on for a friend there is one shed a dog house and chicken coop which are not rough looking debris in yard is from hauling all the wet and moldy items out in a pile so my family isn't breathing mold in and appliances that came from the basement she never said or asked me anything about this i feel its because I wanted a second opinion do you think I have a case
The bolded: No. Unless she's also a home inspector.

Most of your post is one, scary-long sentence: try using regular punctuation.

quincy

You might want to read over your (former) policy to see what it covers and what is excluded (and why).

It is possible that the damage was determined to be the result of neglect by the homeowner. The inspector might have found the homeowner failed to do routine maintenance and repair which led to the damage (e.g., a failure to replace a malfunctioning sump pump or seal basement leaks or whatever). If the insurer finds the property owner is not maintaining the property and considers with the previous claims history that there is an unacceptable risk of continuing to insure the home, the policy can be cancelled (although it is not common to have it cancelled mid-policy).

That said, you can certainly have another inspection to see how it compares to your insurer's inspection.

If you think your claim was denied improperly and the cancellation was the result of your insurer not wanting to pay out on a legitimate claim, you can contact the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services and file a complaint. Here are links:

http://www.michigan.gov/difs/0,5269,7-303-12902_12907---,00.html
http://www.michigan.gov/difs/

Good luck.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

do you think I have a case
Not really.

Michigan insurance law is pretty generous in allowing an insurance company to cancel a policy during the policy term for a variety of underwriting reasons.

In fact, Section 500.2123 (4) allows for the termination "due to reasons which conform to the underwriting rules of the insurer for that insurance."

http://law.justia.com/codes/michigan/2015/chapter-500/statute-act-218-of-1956/division-218-1956-21/section-500.2123/

The claims, potential claims, and condition of your property no longer qualify for the insurance policy.

It's remotely possible that your insurance company is wronging you, but I think not, and your time would be better served by contacting an independent insurance agent who can get you insurance with another insurance company.

Yes, under the circumstances, you will pay more for the insurance than you have been paying but you don't have much choice. If you have a mortgage and you don't get a new policy in by the cancellation the mortgage company will put their own insurance on just the house and increase your payments to cover it. That insurance will not protect your personal property or your liability for injury to others.

quincy

... I been with this company for 13 years and always paid on time yearly in full which I am paid till September 2017 ...
The sort-of-good news is that you will receive a refund from your insurance company for the amount you paid in advance.

It is not unheard of in Michigan to have insurance companies wrongfully deny claims so a second opinion from an independent inspector is not a bad idea. Make sure you get in writing from your own insurance company the reason(s) for the denial of your claim.

Because it sounds as if you will be looking for a new insurance company, here is another link to the Department of Insurance and Financial Services, this to "Your Guide to Homeowners Insurance." The Guide provides insurance company information (including information on offered discounts) as of May 2016: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_03homegd_74854_7.pdf

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">