• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Renters Insurance Coverage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karriwhel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I have been with my insurance company for years now with auto insurance with only one fender bender with both people taking responsibility was only about $3k damages, requested that I now add renters insurance to my policy. Issued renters insurance policy, but one month later sent a notice in the mail saying they are cancelling my policy because I own guns (IN TEXAS HELLO?) guns are kept in gunsafe, all have locks. I live in a duplex with NO KIDS, single female that only has guns out when taking to the range & only carry ONE handgun only when I travel by car (maybe what once every 3-6 months!) Why in the world would I be denied coverage? I even have a CHL license & the proper safety training. Seems a bit like denying my right as a US citizen & I am also required by my landlord to maintain renters insurance. What is up with this baloney? I will obviously ditch this company all together, but still stinks, thoughts?

OHRoadwarrior

I think the it is obvious the insurance company does not want to assume liability for what may be done with your guns, by you or some other unknown party.

karriwhel

Assume liability?

This is for content insurance only. I do not need coverage of liability. My guns are registered, if they are stolen I want them replaced & I am not liable for a stolen gun used in crimes if I report to the proper authorities that the gun stolen in the first place.

HomeGuru

This is for content insurance only. I do not need coverage of liability. My guns are registered, if they are stolen I want them replaced & I am not liable for a stolen gun used in crimes if I report to the proper authorities that the gun stolen in the first place.
**A: the insurance company may terminate and did.

Antigone*

They do not have to provide you coverage.

ecmst12

I am sure there is another company out there that will allow you to buy coverage. You may not like the price though!

I would definitely recommend that you get liability coverage as well.

tammy8

I have never had an issue with a client being denied for a gun but how is your credit? Insurance company will deny coverage if you do not meet insurance credit scoring requirements. Was the letter from the home office of the carrier? Or from the agent? Sometimes agents hate to tell someone their credit sucks and will use another reason to tell someone their are ineligable for coverage.

OHRoadwarrior

Having guns around can attract burglars. Guns are easy to sell and claim the theft of. In Texas especially.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">