• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you know any lawyer who can help me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

farghaly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois.
I have home owner insurance and I had a claim in 2007. They approved only portion of the top roof at that time and I got it fixed.
In April 2010, I saw several shingles in my backyeard from my house and saw leak after that inside my house.
I got a contractor who confirmed the hail and wind damage.
I filed a claim and here are the details.
First:
-----
The first adjustor denied it and said that the damage doesn't seem from 2010 storm. He asked me to find another date and file another claim.
Second:
-------
I complained and they sent another adjustor who approved the inside house leak and told me that outside part (outer roof) should be added to 2007 claim. Someone will come and open that claim and adjust it.
Third:
-----
Finally, the third one came and spent 3 hours doing calculation and said that he will give me $80 (only eighty dollars) since the claim is old and he can't do better than that.

So, I have damagae and they don't want to approve it. Can you advise?

tammy8

How old was the roof prior to 2007? Why didn't you get replace? Who fixed the damages back then? IME, any contractor that is not fly by night, would have either replaced or fixed to stop future leaks/damages?

And beware, sounds like with all the claim activity you are getting ready to get cancelled. And I bet pennies to dollars, it would have been cheaper in the long run to replace completely instead of the rates you are getting to pay.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
These forums do not provide attorney referrals. There is a Find a Lawyer section elsewhere on this site.

Trickster

I think we could hash this out for ya, but absent that, you need an attorney. To go down that road it will cost you more than the few shingles to replace. Take the 80 bucks, fix the shingles and pray you do not get a premium increase.

Max_R

Very similar experience for one my friends in Columbus Ohio

Roof damage due to hailstorm, only partial repair was approved and then house started leaking in 2 or 3 places. He got a contractor who confirmed that the problem is due to hailstorm. He also had to open multiple claims and pay deductible at least two times. He finally got paid for fixing properly, way more than the $80 you are offered. May be he was lucky or he knew something. I will try to find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">