• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog bite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgdumas

What is the name of your state?CT
My dog is a fear aggressive dog that I love very much. He bit someone who was running down the street, 2 years ago and I was sued last year. I understand this was my fault, but now my problem is that my insurance company is not renewing my ins. and I don't know what to do. I have considered getting his front teeth removed, so a future bite will not cause damage, but of course I am not planning on him biting again. I muzzle him when people come over (or close him in a separate room), and we have an invisible fence which he is scared to death to go through. The teeth removing part may sound awful, but a vet actually recommended it.
My question: can I be sued if he bites again, even if he won't draw blood because he'll be all gums? If I have a sign outside (invisible fence, beware of dog), and yet people come into my yard, is it my fault?

claimlaw

This is a joke right? HomeGuru? ALawyer? SeniorJudge? Is that you? Guys? Guys?

YOU ACT LIKE A RESPONSIBLE HUMAN AND PUT THE DOG DOWN, TEETH AND ALL.

See if you can get a two for one.

Claimlaw

mgdumas

That would be a fine answer, if that was the question. I want to know about the law, not whether or not I should kill my dog. He is my best buddy and I can't imagine not having him, that is why I am looking at ways to save his life and yet still protect other people and of course my assets. He is not a mean dog, just very fearful of everything.

claimlaw

The legal answer is: Yes you can be sued. For a good reason, bad reason or no reason at all. The other answer is yes, it will be your fault.

Unless you also remove one of your dogs legs and nail a sign to him that says "this dog has no teeth and thus can only scare the **** out of you and scratch you", a reasonable person is likely to determine that your dog is an immenent threat - assuming of course that they can read a sign bouncing along at 3mph before taking cover on the ground.

I understand now why he is your best buddy.

Any other questions?

Claimlaw

msiron

I needed to laugh, thanks....

and how would he eat with no teeth, dentures?
-------------------------------------

Poster, first you say he is fairly aggressive and CHASED someone down the street and bit them, then you later stated he is fearful, does not break out of the IFS???

He is a major liability.

Last edited:

mgdumas

First of all, I did not say he is "fairly" aggressive; I said he is fear aggressive. Second of all, he did not break through the fence- the fence was installed after the attack. Third of all, many people eat without teeth- they just gum it, but I was considering keeping the back teeth in.

Last of all, I was writing for help, which no one seems to be able to give me. Yes, I would love to find a way to keep this dog. I also found an insurance company that gives liability to risky dogs, no thanks to any of you people. If I wanted sarcasm or people to think my question was "a joke" or a "laugh", I would have found a comedy web site. I'm glad I found a dog site where there are people who actually care. You know the old saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?" Well, I guess you don't know that saying.

Thanks for your advice (see I can do sarcasm too).

corporatebabble

Clouseau: Does your dog bite?
Hotel Clerk: No.
Clouseau bowing down to pet the dog: Nice doggie.
[Dog barks and bites Clouseau in the hand.]
Clouseau: I thought you said your dog did not bite!
Hotel Clerk: That is not my dog.

msiron

Sorry poster, I thought your 'FEAR' aggressive was a typo meant to state 'FAIRLY' aggressive... so he was in FEAR of someone running down the street and became aggressive from it, chased them and bit them? Yes that sounds reasonable!!

Glad you found a company to insure you.

Yes people can gum food but your dog has those teeth for self defense. What if a raccoon or coyote wandered in your yard, how would he defend himself?

I love dogs too but I love what I have worked my ass off for more.

claimlaw

MSIRON: You knew right up front that the poster subscribes to left coast psychobabble. What the hell is fear aggressive? I mean, other that a poorly concocted excuse for being a lousy neighbor.

I guess that makes Jackson a juvenile-aggressive whereupon otherwise, he is a docile loveable creature that should be helped with his genetically predisposed affliction.

Unless she lied on her application, no underwriter with all the facts will insure a known-to-be agressive dog unless it is handled as an exotic animal at great expense with numerous application warranties. That is ridiculous.

The dog has issues. So what? It is simply assimilating.

Corporatebabble: re: Clouseau - Thank you!

Mgdumass: You asked two questions. You received clear, concise and accurate answers to both. If want to join a support group for people who make bad descisions while in possession of good information, this aint the place.

WAIT! This isn't a comedy forum?

Dammit!

Claimlaw on a slow day.

mgdumas

claimlaw said:
Unless she lied on her application, no underwriter with all the facts will insure a known-to-be agressive dog unless it is handled as an exotic animal at great expense with numerous application warranties. That is ridiculous.

So... you're calling me a liar! You know nothing about me except what I've posted, and that totally irks me. Check it out yourself:
www.lkalmanson.com/dog.html

This should be my last post unless you dis me again and I find I need to defend myself.

BTW, I have tried to be polite. There is no reason to swear at me.

Since they are in Florida, you will want to make sure that they are licensed to write business in CT. I understand that it says throughout the globe, but that might not mean where you are.

mbeck2000

My toddler bitten in face

I have a few questions regarding pain and suffering from a dog bite.

My son was bit in the face by an Australian Shepherd that belonged to my sister-in-law. I was there when it happened and ended up in the emergency room, where my son had to be sedated (he's only 2) to get stitches.

I hired an attorney to submit a claim against her homeowners insurance. Because she hates me she is now claiming that she does now own the dog. I have submitted proof in the form of text messages, email, pictures, and even the dog bite report that proves she is the dog owner. Not only is she the owner, but she knew that this dog is a biter. He attacked her other dogs, it bit her, it bit my mother in law, and she dropped it off at my mother in laws house where I was staying without even notifying us and with in 5 mins of waking up the dog grabbed onto my sons face.

Since the bit, it's been about 5 months, my son continues to have nightmares, we see a therapist, I have developed a fear of large dogs, and I can't even take my son for a walk because I seem to notice every single dog in the dang neighborhood. On top of the stress of taking care of a toddler that has been diagnosed with PTSD I am constantly tired and stressed, then I hear that my sister is lying about the ownership of the dog, just to get our claim denied. My hair has started to fall out, I can't sleep because I'm always thinking about this.

Does anybody know if I have the right to ask for pain and suffering? I'd also like to mention that after this happened I had to take my son and move out of my mother in laws house, and my husband and daughter stayed there because my daughter needed to finish school and my aunt's house was too far to travel back and forth twice a day. It was a month before we could live together and that was very hard on our family as well.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I have a few questions regarding pain and suffering from a dog bite.

My son was bit in the face by an Australian Shepherd that belonged to my sister-in-law. I was there when it happened and ended up in the emergency room, where my son had to be sedated (he's only 2) to get stitches.

I hired an attorney to submit a claim against her homeowners insurance. Because she hates me she is now claiming that she does now own the dog. I have submitted proof in the form of text messages, email, pictures, and even the dog bite report that proves she is the dog owner. Not only is she the owner, but she knew that this dog is a biter. He attacked her other dogs, it bit her, it bit my mother in law, and she dropped it off at my mother in laws house where I was staying without even notifying us and with in 5 mins of waking up the dog grabbed onto my sons face.

Since the bit, it's been about 5 months, my son continues to have nightmares, we see a therapist, I have developed a fear of large dogs, and I can't even take my son for a walk because I seem to notice every single dog in the dang neighborhood. On top of the stress of taking care of a toddler that has been diagnosed with PTSD I am constantly tired and stressed, then I hear that my sister is lying about the ownership of the dog, just to get our claim denied. My hair has started to fall out, I can't sleep because I'm always thinking about this.

Does anybody know if I have the right to ask for pain and suffering? I'd also like to mention that after this happened I had to take my son and move out of my mother in laws house, and my husband and daughter stayed there because my daughter needed to finish school and my aunt's house was too far to travel back and forth twice a day. It was a month before we could live together and that was very hard on our family as well.
Please start your own thread.

Not only have you necroposted, but you've hijacked as well. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">