• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropped from HO insurance even though not at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edwillster

I live in Washington.

2 years ago I wrecked my boat that was covered by my homeowner's insurance (no idea why they set it up like that). Last year someone pulled the safety pin out of the tow hitch on my car while stopped at a store, causing my trailer to come loose on the freeway, damaging all its contents and wrecking the back end of my new Suburban.

The auto insurance covered the car, but they said I had to claim the trailer on my homeowner's insurance. I did, and now my insurance company refused to renew my insurance and nobody else will insure me at a reasonable rate.

Since the second claim was not my fault, can they do this? Why am I getting raped because some idiot sabotaged my trailer? It would seem that if the claim is not my fault, it shouldn't effect my insurance rates or qualification. This seems a lot like insurance companies paying good money to politicians.

Is there anything I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

I live in Washington.

2 years ago I wrecked my boat that was covered by my homeowner's insurance (no idea why they set it up like that). Last year someone pulled the safety pin out of the tow hitch on my car while stopped at a store, causing my trailer to come loose on the freeway, damaging all its contents and wrecking the back end of my new Suburban.

The auto insurance covered the car, but they said I had to claim the trailer on my homeowner's insurance. I did, and now my insurance company refused to renew my insurance and nobody else will insure me at a reasonable rate.

Since the second claim was not my fault, can they do this? Why am I getting raped because some idiot sabotaged my trailer? It would seem that if the claim is not my fault, it shouldn't effect my insurance rates or qualification. This seems a lot like insurance companies paying good money to politicians.

Is there anything I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
All you have to do is tell the insurance company whose fault it was, so they can collect from that person.

You were cancelled for the same reason that you can't find another company to cover you. History proves that you are a bad risk.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, this IS your fault. It is YOUR responsibility to inspect your vehicle for proper safety. When I go in for a bite while towing, or if I gas up...you had better bet that *I* do a walk-around to make sure everything is properly hitched up.

edwillster

My fault?

You must work for an insurance company. That's the most ignorant thing I've heard. It is not the child's fault that a pedophile gets to her, it's not the casier's fault for working at the 7-11 when it's robbed. I did a walkaround, as I always do, before beginning my trip. There is no way to predict that when stopping at a mini-mart to pick up a Pepsi that some kid standing outside will pull your hitch pin when you're only inside for 5 minutes. I've bought a locking hitch pin, but who's to say that it won't be sawed off while I'm driving down the road by a gremlin? The left (logical) side of the brain dictates that the root cause is the idiot pulling the pin, not the hitch for falling out. The right (liberal) side of the brain is the one that tells us it's the world's fault for making whoever pulled the pin so angry with society that they had to pull it to get back at the man. Besides, the insurance company classified it as vandalism, not negligence. Hence the "no-fault" statement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You must work for an insurance company. That's the most ignorant thing I've heard. It is not the child's fault that a pedophile gets to her, it's not the casier's fault for working at the 7-11 when it's robbed. I did a walkaround, as I always do, before beginning my trip. There is no way to predict that when stopping at a mini-mart to pick up a Pepsi that some kid standing outside will pull your hitch pin when you're only inside for 5 minutes. I've bought a locking hitch pin, but who's to say that it won't be sawed off while I'm driving down the road by a gremlin? The left (logical) side of the brain dictates that the root cause is the idiot pulling the pin, not the hitch for falling out. The right (liberal) side of the brain is the one that tells us it's the world's fault for making whoever pulled the pin so angry with society that they had to pull it to get back at the man. Besides, the insurance company classified it as vandalism, not negligence. Hence the "no-fault" statement.
Ok, let me be clear. Had your trailer caused damage to the property of another, you would definitely be liable and it WOULD be your fault. As it was only your property that was damaged, things are a bit different...

Yes, if I pop inside for a moment, I check what I'm towing when I come back out. Why? I guess it's just that little bit of extra care I give based on the inherent increased danger of towing...perhaps it's also a bit of paranoia concerning the exact situation that you experienced.

Oh, and your whole "gremlin" statement is preposterous... :rolleyes:

JustAPal00

You're responsible for checking the safety of your vehicle and your load every time you start the car. If something wears out durring the trip and causes an accident it's still your fault because you failed to maintain your equipment. I'm not saying you were negligent, but in this case you didn't do what was necessary to avoid an accident.

ecmst12

Either way, insurance is about statistics not individuals. Especially in HO insurance (as opposed to auto), fault doesn't so much matter. Your claims history means that STATISTICALLY you are a bad risk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">