• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

erroneous, too low adjuster on hail damage claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkjk0

What is the name of your state? OH

Insurance company is offering too little for hail damage incurred on a roof of my primary residence. The adjuster was from a separate company that provided and erroneous estimate and an estimate too low to cover replacement cost. I then provided another estimate though a separate contractor. Nothing has been done for several months to adjust the payout amount accordingly, despite my persistent inquiry. It has been delayed long enough that I feel I need to protect myself legally in case the insurance company is trying to stall until it is too late to adjust their initial amount. Claim Submitted, June 2007. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated thanks!

jkjk0

I am aware of the depreciation if I do the work myself versus having a contractor do it. No, the original estimate did not have the accurate square footage of the roof and neglected to account for any form of waste removal. It also did not include water shield which is now required by code in Ohio and thus should be included in the replacement cost. It also neglected to include the gutters. Finally, the taxes were calculated incorrectly, which even the insurance company itself had a problem with because it was so blatantly incorrect.
Thanks for your fast reply!

moburkes

Read your insurance policy. Read the information on what to do if you disagree with how the claim is being handled. Also, does your insurance policy cover actual cash value (not the cost of do-it-yourself labor, that is NOT actual cash value) OR REPLACEMENT COST? Also, what papers did you sign, because it appears that you have received some money already, which means that you've likely agreed, in writing, to the $ amount paid out. How many estimates have you provided to the insurance company? What are the $ amounts? What $ amount did the insurance company pay? Have you contacted the OH Dept. of Insurance?

jkjk0

Thanks, but again, the problem is that the estimate is blatantly erroneous, and the insurance company has already admitted it, but they just are not proactive at getting it resolved. They have already sent me a check but i haven't signed anythign. the first estimate was for about $2400. The second and only other estimate is for $4977, which is probably inflated by the contractor, but at least it includes all the work that needs done. So the insurances company has admitted that the first estimate is just plain wrong, but they say they are waiting on the sub-contracted adjuster to fix the stuff. They send an email to the adjuster who just doesn't respond to them. I just want to know how to get them motivated to resolve the erroneous estimate.

moburkes

I gave you 2 options already. I'm sure you don't need me to repeat them.

In any case, how long has it been since you reported the claim?

jkjk0

Thanks for your input. But I think this issue has finally been resolved by my persistent calling of the subcontractor directly. They have finally reviewed the new estimate an acknowledged the mistakes, and agree to the 4k estimate. It has been almost 7 months now.
One thing, I am not sure why you mention looking at the details of my insurance policy when the problem with the first estimate was the obvious errors and omissions. The problem with the estimate was not based on debating with them on the finer details of my policy.

I hope this is all over! But I still have to hear from the insurance company directly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">