• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falling wall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steakfries

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My neighbor's retaining wall, a solid concrete mammoth of a thing, has been sliding over the years to the point that it is now at a 45 degree angle, the top of it pointing into my kitchen window. I haven't measured to see if it would hit my house if it were to fall, but, if it did, there would be terrible damage. My neighbor knows about the wall and I've asked if we could talk about it when he had time, to which he agrees but never follows through. He lives about 10 months out of country and spends just two at the house. I've heard through the grapevine that he is looking to sell. Its at such as place as that a prospective buyer might not notice it, and I doubt he would disclose. I'm not sure if I should just hire a lawyer to send a certified letter, or let my insurance company deal with it. If it falls, I don't want my insurance company to say I should have notified them beforehand of the situation. Or, could I have my city look at it as a code violation? Many thanks.

racer72

could I have my city look at it as a code violation?
This is probably your best option at this time. As the home owner, you have an obligation to mitigate any potential damages. You have not done this, you have just watched the wall continue to fail. You could end up paying for the damage to your house if the wall fails because of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">