• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire w/water damage. Have renters insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

draven

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I had a small fire about a month ago. It was one of those many things had to happen together for it to go this way.

1. Cleaning ladies come every two week. They cleaned the (electric ceramic) stove, accidentally left one of the burners on
2. Power failure (probably caused by the cleaning ladies). It was not possible to notice the burner
3. I arrived with boxes and stuff from work at night to find the apartment in complete darkness.
4. I needed to do stuff in the computer, I decided to go to back to the office, after dropping the stuff near the entrance. Kitchen is at the entrance. It was dark, so probably some of the stuff was too close to the stove.
5. Sometime later and before I came back, power was restored, burner got on again and it eventually burned some of the stuff I left there which caught fire.
6. My wife was not at home, neighbors weren't at home. Nobody heard the smoke alarm and the thing got hot enough to catch fire and start the sprinklers.
7. Sprinklers went off for several minutes without nobody noticing until the firemen came in.

The end result is that of course everything in the kitchen and living room got all water/smoke damaged, but that is not that much of my concern. My property coverage should deal with at least most of it. My concern is the liability. I have $100,000 coverage, but there was enough water to get the carpets of other 6 apartments soaked and to leak to the apartment below.

Does that count as negligence? I have proof that there was a cleaning lady checking in the apartment, and I happened to file a power failure ticket to the apartment manager before leaving and before the fire. I don't know how much the damages are going to be, and I don't know if the insurance companies for the building and the neighbors are going to come after me and exceed my coverage. Right now insurance companies are still talking to each other to see who pays what, but it has been a month and I still have no idea whether this is going to cost me or not and how much if it does. I do have legal group insurance, so I will have some coverage if I get sued, but this whole thing is still very scary and uncertain.

Anyone have an idea of whether 100,000 dollars is enough, or how much an accident like this will cost in terms of liability. I would like to have an idea at least.

Thanks

ecmst12

I don't think you're going to have a realistic idea of what the cost will be until the bills start coming in. Your insurance should handle everything. If it looks like things might go over your policy limits, your insurance company will let you know. If that happens, you might want to consult a separate lawyer.

draven

If you caused water damage to 6 other appartments, $100K is really tight.
Yeah, that is what worries me. The management response was pretty slow. As far as I know the damage to 5 of the other 6 apartments consisted of only wet carpets. The apartment below had it somehow worse. Can I somehow argue that it is also the landlord responsibility for letting the water for one sprinkler affect other 6 apartments?
I wish I had more coverage. I never thought I would need more beyond the default and waiting until the bills come is very stressful. I haven't received any bills yet.
If I get a huge bill what can I do? It is not like I didn't get insurance.

Gail in Georgia

"Can I somehow argue that it is also the landlord responsibility for letting the water for one sprinkler affect other 6 apartments?"

You'd seriously consider this argument??

Gail

draven

Fair enough. I apologize for that statement.

Ok, I actually don't know if it was few minutes, half an hour. The building management told me about it two hours after the whole thing happened. I just thought it was too many affected apartments for just one sprinkler over a few minutes, but I take back what I said.

I agree, if it was a full blown fire I would already be figuring out how to file for bankruptcy or something. The building is made out of concrete so I also don't have to worry about expensive molding issues.
Anyway, I read that it is possible for the insurer to settle for the policy limits when those are exceeded and if the affected party insurer can accept the settlement if it considers not to be worth the money to pursue a lawsuit in court. Is that true? Is that common?

single317dad

I think we need more information about this cleaning service. Was it a professional service, or just a couple of people who clean apartments? Were they contracted by the landlord or you? What does your agreement with them say about liability?

draven

I think we need more information about this cleaning service. Was it a professional service, or just a couple of people who clean apartments? Were they contracted by the landlord or you? What does your agreement with them say about liability?
So the cleaning service was professional, they had drying equipment and they were contracted by the landlord. Each tenant is required to have renter's insurance and the landlord has insurance too, but it seems they have a very high deductible ($500,000).
In general, it seems to be the cost of drying the carpets of the neighbors, replacing the carpet in my apartment, changing the cabinets of my kitchen, fixing the water that leaked to the floor below, repainting. Some of the neighbors were relocated for about one week.

If you mean the one that left the stove on... Unfortunately it was just a couple of people who clean apartments, not a professional service. I guess if it was I could get them involved. I don't have any written agreement with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">