• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

go on take the money and run.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drickard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. Home owner used my contract and credentials to get a claim on his property. The check was issued to the homeowner and myself. Now says not doing job, didn't get enough money. However I have not endorsed the check and am out my time and money. What can I do?

ecmst12

Not your problem. You can't claim the money if you haven't done the work. He SHOULD NOT be able to cash the check without your signature, but that's between him and the bank and his mortgage company (if he takes the money and doesn't repair the damage).

Sophistry

Love the Steve Miller reference by the way...

Seriously, this happens alot. Homeowner uses the contractor to provide an estimate then tells the insurance company his brother-in-law, cousin, uncle said he'd do it for X% cheaper or that the insured decided to do it himself. The insurance company puts the bank and the insured on the check and let them work out the details or they pay a %, confirm the work was done, then another %, etc...

I don't know the law in Ohio but I'd let it go and move on.

Last thing, I'd make sure you were not on that check - you don't want to get 1099'd for money you never received....(I think they probably cancelled the first check and reissued another)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">