• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grass Fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yammy250f

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama. I was burning boxes in a burning barrel and all of a sudden the wind picked up and caught the grass on fire. It moved so fast I could'nt keep up with it and it moved in to the farmers field and burned 36 rolls of hay. Am I responsible? no burn ban and it rained 2 days before. I've been burning for 5 years and never had this happen.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama. I was burning boxes in a burning barrel and all of a sudden the wind picked up and caught the grass on fire. It moved so fast I could'nt keep up with it and it moved in to the farmers field and burned 36 rolls of hay. Am I responsible? no burn ban and it rained 2 days before. I've been burning for 5 years and never had this happen.
Of COURSE you're responsible. YOU caused the damage.

Some Random Guy

You'll need to contact your insurance agent to find out. But I doubt it will since you were violating a 'No Burn' day.
Agree to contact your insurance agent immediately at the first sign you may be liable for actions taken on your property.

However, my reading of the original post was NO 'burn ban', which would mean that the poster was not violating any burning ordinance.

yammy250f

This was purly an accident and I was standing right there when it happend. In fact my profession is safety and I will not let my kids play with gas.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
This was purly an accident and I was standing right there when it happend. In fact my profession is safety and I will not let my kids play with gas.
Regardless, you managed to burn up 36 rolls of hay. They price out at about $50/roll or more, depending on the type of hay. You have to pay for your carelessness, no matter what your profession or what you let your children do. :cool:

justalayman

well, you have a choice of accidental or intentional. If it was intentional, you would be faced with possible jail time. Being accidental means you will likely only be financially responsible.

ecmst12

If you can prove that you were burning in a proper safe manor, then your insurance might not drop you at the next opportunity. If you were NOT following all the rules, then you probably won't be so lucky. But they should cover the damage you caused, at least up to your limit of liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">