• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hail damage to siding and roof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gardencove

Illinois

Hello,

We had recent damage to the roof and siding from a hail in the Chicago area. There were two; one in Aug 15 and the other one in Apr 16.

I am with Allstate since Dec 15 and was with Progressive prior. I filed a claim with Allstate and they denied the claim, even though they admitted that there is damage. They say that the damage was prior to start of coverage from Allstate.

My deductible with Progressive is very steep!. $4K for hail damage.

Should I file a claim with Progressive and if they deny, what are my options knowing that there is damage. I am worried they may say the damage was caused after I switched to Allstate and moreover I am no longer with them.
Also, would the repeated claims increase chances of jacking up my rate? new to this!

Any expert advise would greatly help!

Thanks!!

adjusterjack

OK. Just dawned on me that you were providing month and year. So, one storm was Aug 2015, you changed insurance in Dec 2015 and the next storm was Apr 2016.

Yes, you should make a claim with Progressive.

If it gets denied your options are to live with the fact that you were remiss in not filing a claim after the first storm or you can hire an attorney who specializes in going after insurance companies for property claims.

The problem is that you can't prove when the damage happened so each insurance company has a right to deny the claim until a court of law says otherwise.

Insurance companies don't generally surcharge for weather related claims but that's not to say that they can't.

justalayman

Unless you notified progressive of damage in the first storm you are going to be denied coverage now. If you have proof of the damage (and hopefully an estimate) you should be able to seek payment from progressive form the amount of the original estimate.

Since there was unrepaired damage when you switched to Allstate, unless you can quantify and prove the existing damage and the value of any new damage so as to be able to determine how much damage was due solely to the second storm (minus any damage caused because you didn't repair the damage from the first storm) you aren't likely to see a penny from Allstate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">