• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

he stole the money.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lakisha

Louisiana.
Good evening. One of my great grandmothers homes caught fire in 2010, I believe. She had given me power of attorney prior to the fire. She (90)now resides next door with myself and I am also her caregiver although this may be irrelevant. The insurance company gave her a payout of no more than 30,000 for dwelling due to the fact the policy was not updated in atleast twenty years. They mailed a seperate contents check for 10,000. I was their only contact throughout. My great grandmother's daughter and her son received the dwelling check due to an error in the mailing address. I alerted the insurance company and they put a stop on that check. I advised them to correct the address immediate and permanently. They assured me it was done. The contents check ended up being mailed to the same wrong address about three weeks later. The issue now is that her son received and cashed the check and no one has seen him since. The check was not used for the purpose intended. I alerted the insurance company and they did a three month long investigation that sided with the son stating that he had permission at the bank to cash her checks. We live in a small town. He has no power of attorney. He stole the money. Who can I call? Where should I start. Please help.

Last edited:

davew128

Most people would contact the police when they have had money stolen from them. How and why did the insurance company come to its conclusion, since without a POA or endorsement, the daughter and grandson could not have legally cashed that check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">