• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heat Pump Flooded Crawl Space

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lenny357

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I had my Florida Geo thermal Heat pump replaced under my house Saturday. That Saturday Night the newly installed couplings (PVC Pipping) on the new heat Pump failed, sending 10 gallons on water per min. for 7 hours flooding the under side of my house, destroying my Vapor Barrier and making my crawl space a muddy mess. I called my Home owners insurance and they said to immediately call a salvage team, which I did. Monday I get a call from my insurance company asking if the contractor putting the pump in, has contacted his insurance company. I said no, and they informed me I have a $2000 deductible so they urged me to get in touch with him and ask him to do so.
After contacting the contractor, he said that a valve un related to his install, yet very necessary for safe operation of the unit failed. This valve, is the water regular valve, which before even starting the unit up, I told him was on the fritz, and asked him is/or should we replace it. He said it would be a good idea to replace it, yet he powered the unit up and said he would be back in the morning to top off the freon charge. Well morning came and the flood was what greeted us.

Who's insurance covers this?

When installing a piece of equipment isn't the contractor responsible to check the entire system?

I mean this was a $5000.00 job, isn't it his responsibility to check the entire water pump system for this new unit?

moburkes

At a first glance, it appears that he's at fault. But if a separate until failed, that he wouldn't normally check or install, then he wouldn't be. I think the only way to find out is for your insurance company to sue him or for you to. I don't know if your insurance company is going to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">