• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cswift2016

A 15 year old child fell on my property after a bonfire for my child. It was about midnight and she was waiting on her dad to get her. I was taking some other kids home and left my 22 and 19 year old daughter at home. The girl the had the accident ended up tripping and falling and a landscaping structure that leads to a garage. Her hip was hurting and she had a cut on her elbow. She fell while talking on the phone walking to her dads car which was in the driveway with the lights on. She didn't see the drop off because she was distracted with her conversation. I'm worried the dad will sue me. What is his
claim and how responsible will I be for this accident occuring? There were lights on. We have motion activated lights to make it so you can see.

LdiJ

A 15 year old child fell on my property after a bonfire for my child. It was about midnight and she was waiting on her dad to get her. I was taking some other kids home and left my 22 and 19 year old daughter at home. The girl the had the accident ended up tripping and falling and a landscaping structure that leads to a garage. Her hip was hurting and she had a cut on her elbow. She fell while talking on the phone walking to her dads car which was in the driveway with the lights on. She didn't see the drop off because she was distracted with her conversation. I'm worried the dad will sue me. What is his
claim and how responsible will I be for this accident occuring? There were lights on. We have motion activated lights to make it so you can see.
If you are sued you turn it over to your homeowner's insurance company to handle. However, IF somehow it could be determined that the child's accident was your fault you would only be liable for the child's medical expenses. A cut elbow and a bruised hip are not going to result in serious medical expenses.

CdwJava

Wow ... if I could have collected money for every time that one of my kids got scraped, bruised, cut, or bled on someone else's property, I'd be rich! We made many ER visits (I have four boys) over the years, and only one or two began with a "D'OH!" moment on MY property!

Kids being stupid and tripping or falling on their behinds does happen. Yes, there are people who might make a claim and even sue. But, absent some significant injury (and a potential award or recovery of damages), why would they?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">