• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA insurance liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

David_Mac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

About a week ago, one of the pipes in my wall burst. I live in a condo, and this was a sprinkler system pipe that runs throughout the whole building. The pipes, as I found out, are not insulated, and have frozen before in these buildings. I had the heat on the whole weekend, it was never below 67 degrees. The HOA has Nationwide insurance, I have USAA. The nationwide adjustor told me today that my living expenses, such as hotel and food costs, would be covered under my homeowners insurance, since nationwide and the HOA only "insure the structure, not possessions". My question is, do I have standing to make Nationwide replace my possessions and put up my living costs, since it was the structure they insure that damaged my possessions.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

About a week ago, one of the pipes in my wall burst. I live in a condo, and this was a sprinkler system pipe that runs throughout the whole building. The pipes, as I found out, are not insulated, and have frozen before in these buildings. I had the heat on the whole weekend, it was never below 67 degrees. The HOA has Nationwide insurance, I have USAA. The nationwide adjustor told me today that my living expenses, such as hotel and food costs, would be covered under my homeowners insurance, since nationwide and the HOA only "insure the structure, not possessions". My question is, do I have standing to make Nationwide replace my possessions and put up my living costs, since it was the structure they insure that damaged my possessions.
Turn it in to your own insurance company and let them duke it out with Nationwide.

adjusterjack

do I have standing to make Nationwide replace my possessions and put up my living costs, since it was the structure they insure that damaged my possessions.
No, you don't have "standing" to make Nationwide do anything.

You would have to sue the HOA and prove that the HOA was somehow negligent in the maintenance of the pipes.

Have your own insurance company take care of this. That's what you pay premiums for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">