• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home theft issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Courvey123

My house recently got burgled and I had a range of items stolen such as jewelry, clothing, handbags and sentimental gifts many of which were very valuable and many I've owned for years, especially the jewelry many of which are over a decades. When I informed my insurance company regarding this they stated that a receipt would be required as proof of ownership and for valuing purposes. I then tried to explain that I didn't have receipts for some items for various reasons that I thought were reasonable I.e. many items were given as gifts and also many items being at least fiften/twenty years old. As things currently are, they are adamant I provide receipts or they can't continue with the claim. Is there anything that I can do or use in my favor as I feel like I've lost a great deal without any hope for compensation

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My house recently got burgled and I had a range of items stolen such as jewelry, clothing, handbags and sentimental gifts many of which were very valuable and many I've owned for years, especially the jewelry many of which are over a decades. When I informed my insurance company regarding this they stated that a receipt would be required as proof of ownership and for valuing purposes. I then tried to explain that I didn't have receipts for some items for various reasons that I thought were reasonable I.e. many items were given as gifts and also many items being at least fiften/twenty years old. As things currently are, they are adamant I provide receipts or they can't continue with the claim. Is there anything that I can do or use in my favor as I feel like I've lost a great deal without any hope for compensation
Any advice we can give won't help for what you've already - that horse has already left the barn. In the future, you should keep an inventory of your valuable items. You may also wish to seeks out an agreed-value policy of some sort.

STEPHAN

As you deleted the question about your state: Are you in the US?

tranquility

Whatever state or country, you have to PROVE your loss. A purchase receipt is certainly a good start. An appraisal for insurance purposes, even better. Pictures, video and other descriptions to the point where an expert may opine is good too.

What do you have?

You don't just get to say I had a thing and it was worth a lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">