• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners Insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZeroKool

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My girlfriend rents one unit of a two unit house. Recently several large pieces of ice and a portion of gutter fell from the roof onto her car while it was parked in the driveway. Her windshield is shattered and there are substantial dents on the hood and roof of the car.

Her car insurance will pay for repairs however she is stuck paying the deductible. Her landlord is not willing to submit a claim to his homeowners insurance, saying it's not his responsibility.

I'm curious if anyone knows if these repairs should be covered under his homeowners insurance? Her car insurance is planning to contact his homeowners insurance if he continues to deny responsibility.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My girlfriend rents one unit of a two unit house. Recently several large pieces of ice and a portion of gutter fell from the roof onto her car while it was parked in the driveway. Her windshield is shattered and there are substantial dents on the hood and roof of the car.

Her car insurance will pay for repairs however she is stuck paying the deductible. Her landlord is not willing to submit a claim to his homeowners insurance, saying it's not his responsibility.

I'm curious if anyone knows if these repairs should be covered under his homeowners insurance? Her car insurance is planning to contact his homeowners insurance if he continues to deny responsibility.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Let her car insurance company handle it. They will deal with the homeowner's insurance company. It certainly IS the landlord's responsibility.

ZeroKool

Ah perfect, that's what I was looking. Thank you!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">