• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners or Landlords Ins?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mercury

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I own a separate home that my son lives in. I do not collect rent from him. Do I need to have "Landlords Insurance" or is Homeowners sufficient? Is this considered a rental property?
Thank you in advance!!!

Mercury

I don't remember exactly...I may have assumed I needed something special. When I started the Insurance I was renting the house to others. Now that my son lives there again (without me) Im not sure what I should have. Would the answer depend on the Agent?
Thanks!!

moburkes

It sounds like it IS a rental property even if you are not currently collecting rent on it.
It's not owner-occupied. You don't live there. You need a landlord policy.
Owner-occupied policies cover the OWNER's HOUSE, GARAGE, BELONGINGS, and loss of use if the property is damaged and the owner can't live there anymore, while it's being repaired. It also offer liability (and med pay) for the owner's negligence.

Landlord policies offer coverage for the HOUSE. You can purchase coverage for the GARAGE, a reasonable amount of furniture that you equip the "rental" with (stove, fridge, a/c units, etc), but you wouldn't want to pay as if your furnishings are (at minimum) 50% of the value of your home. It would be a waste to pay for loss of use, because if the home isn't damaged, you don't need to move. You can pay for liability or you can add it to your current home insurance policy.

The coverages are different between the policies. You want to pay for the poicy that will pay you (or your mortgage company) in the event of a loss. Not the one that will be cancelled by the insurance company without any payment (for fraud or material misrepresentation).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">