• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner's vs Renters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Muse1245

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

My LLC owns the house where I live. Technically I pay rent, have signed a contract as advised by my Realtor. For 6 years I have been paying both homeowners AND renters insurance for this property. Is that necessary? How much insurance should I get for a $225,000.00 house with $50,000.00 in personal belongings?

justalayman

Your LLC should be paying the insurance on the property itself since you are not an owner other than via your LLC.. You are a renter and need to be concerned about your personal property.

as to how much insurance to buy? That is personal preference to an extent. An insurance agent would be the best person to speak with concerining how much and why buy any specific amount.

ecmst12

The HO insurance only covers the home itself. The renters insurance covers your stuff. Different purposes entirely.

JustAPal00

Make sure you purchase a landlord or fire policy on the home. It should be for the amount it will cost to rebuild the home if it is destroyed. The renters policy should cover the value of your belongings and the amount of liability you want.

ecmst12

If you really want to cover all the bases, you want liability coverage on BOTH policies, to protect both your LLC and you personally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">