• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Fire; No Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QSEQB6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL
My house recently had a fire which destroyed it. Leading up to the fire were 2 contractors, electrical and HVAC, both claimed no fault. I didn't get a chance to purchase HOI, and talking with an attorney he discovered both contractors have no insurance either. He claimed he could go after their assets, but it would require much court and expert cost and he seemed to think their assets are minimal (these are mom and pop contractors).
What are my options? Are there any repercussions or am I screwed out of the house worth at least $50K in damage? What can I do? I'm so mad that these people don't have to take any responsibilities for someone else big loss.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

moburkes

I'm so mad that these people don't have to take any responsibilities for someone else big loss.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why would they take responsibility for someone else's loss? You don't state that the fire is 100% their fault, so what are they responsible for?

You purchase HO insurance before you purchase a home. I don't understand how you didn't have time to do this. Unfortunately, I don't see any way around a lengthy, expensive lawsuit.

ecmst12

You didn't buy insurance and you didn't check that the contractors you hired were insured. Whose fault is that?

nextwife

I assume you paid cash?

Even so, as an investment property owner myself, I don't get how you closed without having insurance in place.

Country Living

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL
My house recently had a fire which destroyed it. Leading up to the fire were 2 contractors, electrical and HVAC, both claimed no fault.
Most contractors would claim no fault until they are proven at fault.

I didn't get a chance to purchase HOI....)?
This is where you find out that little bit of money you saved by not paying HO insurance premiums is insignificant compared to the loss. Had you purchased HO insurance the insurance company would have investigated the fire and paid you if the loss falls under your covered perils. If the fire was the contractor's fault, they (insurance, not you) would have gone after them.
Insurance brokers / agents are just a phone call away so you had a chance to get insurance every day of the week. Nextwife asked a good question - did you pay cash for the house or is it mortgaged?

attorney ... discovered both contractors have no insurance either. He claimed he could go after their assets, but it would require much court and expert cost and he seemed to think their assets are minimal (these are mom and pop contractors).
This is also where you find out that hiring low-bid contractors without doing due diligence can be expensive. This isn't to say they were responsible for the loss.

Are there any repercussions or am I screwed out of the house worth at least $50K in damage? What can I do? I'm so mad that these people don't have to take any responsibilities for someone else big loss.
So far you're out some attorney fees. You probably still owe the contractors. You don't have a house. This doesn't even begin to cover the problems you're going to have with the mortgage company if you had a loan. Those are your repercussions.

I'm so mad that these people don't have to take any responsibilities for someone else big loss.
I don't know why you're mad at the contractors when you did the same thing. They chose to go without insurance. You chose to go without insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">