• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Fire Totally damaged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lidia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Total loss of House due to Fire Damage: Is the independent insurance adjuster that your homeowners
insurance company hired allowed to call a contractor, unscrew your security
plywood sheets from your home windows and go in to look around with him...not informing you that he is there? Meanwhile, he already had made arrangements with you a couple of hours before to meet you the following day after they did this(the two same men,contractor adjuster called and himself) to do this same walkthrough of the damaged house. They got caught by my brother-in-law who happened to be
driving by and wondered who was breaking in. And, the house would cost more to repair than what my policy is worth so they are having it appraised???? What is that about? How can they appraise a house that is burned? The adjuster said they would appraise it as to what it was worth before...how would they know? My insurance policy states under Valuation:
Actual Cost to Repair,Replace or Rebuild- The value of covered property will be based on the lesser of the following amounts:
a. the actual cost to repair, replace or rebuild the covered property with materials of like kind and quality. The actual cost may include material,labor and reasonable overhead expenses.
b. the amount "you" actually spend to repair,replace or rebuild the covered property.
In no event will "we" pay more than the "limit" indicated on the "declarations".

I am in Michigan by the way.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Did you have something to hide? You requested he come and appraise the damages. He was doing so, to familiarize himself with the contents and damage.

Lidia

No, nothing to hide at all. Just puts you on guard all of a sudden , that the
adjuster gives you the guy to call and secure the place with plywood, then turns around and tells you the next day that he is a contractor too and will be joining us on the walk through...then decides to drive up 45 minutes away where our house is to meet this guy and break in, all the while knowing he made arrangements to do that with us the day after. This sort of "trickery" if you will leaves me with no faith in this man and distust all of a sudden...why would he have to do this, if he was to do it the next day with me?

OHRoadwarrior

Depending on what the fire department reported, he probably wanted to check out some things without you present to see what he was looking at. Some people do commit arson. Especially now, when housing prices are screwy.

Banned_Princess

Choosing Your Michigan Home Insurance Policy

In general, there are two options available when you are looking for you Michigan home insurance policy. The first type is a monoline policy. This option only contains one type of insurance coverage, like liability, for instance. the second is not desribed for some reason, but i can only imagine they describe a package policy including all perils, all losses, and all coverages.

There are basically seven different types of Michigan home insurance policy options to choose from. These are described briefly below.

Homeowner's-1 (HO-1): This type of Michigan home insurance policy actually offers very limited coverage, and is offered by few insurers. HO-1 offers coverage many types of damage, such as fire, lightning, wind, smoke, and theft. It is important to check the policy to find out exactly what is covered.

Homeowner's-2 (HO-2): This type of Michigan home insurance policy covers all the items mentioned in the HO-1 policy, plus damage from falling objects, the weight of ice or snow, water from plumbing systems, freezing of the plumbing system, electrical damage to applicances, and water damage from a rupture of water heaters or heating systems.

Homeowner's-3 (HO-3): This type of Michigan home insurance policy is often called the Special Form Policy, and it is the most widely used type of Michigan home insurance. It covers your home against all risk of physical loss, except those that are specifically excluded in the policy. It is important to carefully go over the policy so that you knw exactly what is covered.

Tenant's/Cooperative Owner's (HO-4): This Michigan home insurance policy is used to insure against damage to an apartment's contents and against personal liability for injuries suffered in the unit.

Homeowner's-5 (HO-5): This Michigan home insurance policy provides the same coverage that is in HO-3, plus coverage for personal possessions, except for those things that are specifically excluded in the policy. This coverage can also be obtained by buying the HO-3 policy, and adding a Special Personal Property clause.

Condominium Unit Owner's (HO-6): This Michigan home insurance policy is designed specifically for condominium owners and offers the same coverage as the HO-4 Michigan home insurance policy.

Homeowner's-8 (HO-8): This Michigan home insurance policy is similar to the HO-1 policy. The difference is that this Michigan home insurance policy offers the actual cash value coverage instead of a replace cost. This specific type of Michigan home insurance policy is generally used when the replacement value of the property exceeds the market value.

A landlord insurance policy can help protect landlords with smaller properties — from single-family homes to four-family rental units. In addition to property and liability coverage, a landlord insurance policy provides for special risks landlords may face, such as:

Damages to your property
Damages you could be legally obligated to pay
Legal counsel and fees
Up to 12 months of lost rental income

so, yes the ho policies, and the landlord policy is different.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What's in a name? Seriously? If you own a home, you get homeowner's insurance. Sure, there are different TYPE'S - but they all are insurance designed to protect the owner of the property.

I realize we're arguing semantics so I'll stop ;)

ETA: Oh, alright - one more thing. The PROPER term (the one the state uses) is Home Insurance. ;)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh, but BP - it's proper to give a citation when copying other people's work word-for-word.

Banned_Princess

yes, well all insurance companies will use anything available to them to not pay out a claim.

including not having the right numbered / named ho policy. same thing with vacation home policies.

so if it wasn't properly insured, ins co will be extra happy to deny. ;)

ecmst12

I agree OP needed a LANDLORD policy not a HOMEOWNER policy, HO policies are for owner-occupied properties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">