• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Insurance on Estate Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjmjuly

I'm so glad that I put dog grooming down as an occupation. It makes stupid people say stupid things when they believe that they are "one-upping" you.
I don't have to worry about being smarter than you OR being one up one you. I already am. I bet you're single too huh? Go figure,,,,,

moburkes

mo, remember what I told you about p*ssing contests with skunks?;)
Yes, I know. And, I was thinking about something that I recently read, that when you argue with idiots, you become one. So, you're right. I'll stop arguing with an idiot. Thanks, SJ.:)

Trying2Settle

What to ask for??

This property is currently unoccupied but it is not unattended. I go get the mail 2-3 times a week and check on the property, and mow every other weekend. I visit this property more than most people visit their lake homes. We are planning on putting the property on the market to sell in the next few weeks. It is in a neighborhood and I have neighbors on both sides watching the house. What chaps my butt is the fact that my current insurance company is acting like I'm someone they have no relationship with. My agent is telling me it is the underwriter that is giving him a no go. After 20+ years, maybe I need to seek a new insurance company!!
My question is: Should I ask for renter's insurance, or second home / vacation home insurance. Obviously if I ask for the correct scenario, vacant home insurance, I'm having trouble. I am willing to forego theft/vandalism coverage, since we have taken the items of value out of the house. The rest of the stuff in the house is garage sale stuff. I am just wanting to have the structure insured.

Any recommendation or advice is appreciated

Thanks

moburkes

Renter's insurance is for the belongings inside the house. You don't have any.
2nd home insurance is saying that this is a 2ndary home, which it is not.

Find another company. Honestly? They don't care. They are NOT in the business of insuring vacant properties. Period. Everything that you've described above doesn't change the fact that the home is NOT occupied.

A vandal can destroy the property without getting inside. A vandal can steal the windows right out of the frames.

You need vacant home insurance. Period. The sooner the house sells, the less expensive the insurance.

Trying2Settle

I'm sorry, I meant rental property insurance.

What describes a secondary home? My interpretation, a place you spend time once in awhile. Vacant most of the time****************************

I agree, the sooner we get it sold the better. I'm just not sure we can have it sold by 9/18 when our current policy expires.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">