• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How get out of a Public Adjusters contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ewygirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Not sure where to start...House fire..Hired a Public Adjuster.
1. It has been over 2 months since the Public Adjuster or his company has returned an e-mail or a phone call.
2. I notified our PA that there were numerous items left off the inventory within the 90 days after the fire. I called several times since I had questions regarding the inventory, but since I was unable to reach anyone within the 90 days, we will now not be paid for those items.
3. PA has received his fee from the contents payout and all but the hold back on the building payout.
4. I contacted my insurance agent regarding why we had not received the hotel and food reimbursement from 7 months ago and we received the check 4 days later.

At this point with all of the problems that we have experienced with this PA and with things in general I would like to tell our PA to go pound sand, but how do I do this legally? We have 2 years to submit reimbursement receipts for contents items replaced but if I can't get a hold of them how will that work out....Also, we were required by our town to do "architectural" upgrades, which the town told me my insurance company will pay for since it's not our decision. I do NOT want my PA making one more dime off of us. He was there in the beginning, but has fallen off the face of the earth. To make matter worse I recommended my PA to my neighbor after Hurricane Sandy and they can not get in touch him after they signed a contract.

How do I legally get out of our contract?
Can I send a certified letter stating that we no longer wish to employ his service?
Go to his house and take his sofa, dishes, cups, mugs, some clothing, some shoes and flatware since I will never be reimbursed for those items now...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">