• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If you paid to improve your home prior to damage, is the pre-improved property still

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BBQbrains

My home was recently burglarized. I have a basic Texas home insurance policy that covers stolen property and (I'm assuming) the damages done to the home.

Before the burglary I had signed a contract and made a payment on a pending home improvement involving a replacement of the front door, the same door broken during the burglary. The home improvement has not occurred and probably will not occur for some weeks yet. My question is whether or not the original broken front door should be covered considering I had already paid to replace it. If not, should I consider canceling the improvement so that my insurance will pay for the damage?

JustAPal00

My home was recently burglarized. I have a basic Texas home insurance policy that covers stolen property and (I'm assuming) the damages done to the home.

Before the burglary I had signed a contract and made a payment on a pending home improvement involving a replacement of the front door, the same door broken during the burglary. The home improvement has not occurred and probably will not occur for some weeks yet. My question is whether or not the original broken front door should be covered considering I had already paid to replace it. If not, should I consider canceling the improvement so that my insurance will pay for the damage?
I'm thinking that yes it is covered. Even if you hadn't been broken into, you could still change your mind and have the new door placed somewhere else in the home.

justalayman

I agree. The new door you paid for isn't what was damaged. The old door you were replacing was.

Now, depending on your contract with the door installer, you might have a problem getting your money back though. They are not affected by your house being broken into and if your contract does not allow for cancellation, you may have to allow them to install the door.

The problem then is; how do you get your insurance to pay? They will likely ask why you were replacing the door. So, why were you replacing the door?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">