• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance company wants painting done

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crossdline11

I got a call from my insurance man, which is strange as he has never called me in years. Says he needs to come look at my house. Just the outside he says. I tell him sure, go ahead, I am at work but he is welcome to go look.

I couple months later, I get a letter from the insurance company stating one of my "outbuildings" is in need of paint and that I have till September to get it done. Does not state which "outbuilding". We have a detached garage and a barn. The one side of the garage facing the house has some paint chips (it is a block building) but nothing bad. I would have to assume this is the area they are talking about. They say also that if I do not comply I may lose my "eligibilty for insurance".

So, my question is, where is the line? Can the insurance company say, hey your car needs tires and a paint job or we are going to drop you? Do they have a legal right to tell you how your house should look, or they will drop you? (The garage is concrete block and has many coats of paint. It is just the top coat that is peeling some, so there is no problem as far as the block being seeled.)

I intend to paint the wall, I just hope it is the one they are talking about.

But, do they have a right to tell me to paint, and if so, where is the line before they are just screwing with you?

I have State Farm and live in Alabama.

tammy8

Yes they can tell you when and how to paint your home and outbuildings. If there is paint peeling or chipping, the insurance company has an additional exposure to potiental claims.

If this happens to one of my insureds, my company requires receipts and pictures. Not normally a huge deal

crossdline11

I understand. I was just wondering how much the insurance companies can require you to do. My house is in otherwise excellent condition. I was just trying to find out what the laws were.

Also, it would seem silly to me that they would cancel me after almost 30 years, (all my cars, homes, etc. have been insured with SF) just for paint chipping on a solid concrete wall 5 feet high by 20 feet long. Nothing short of a tornado could hurt this block structure.

It just seemed like they were looking for anything to complain about. I felt like they were actually trying to find anything they could to try and cancel me.
Did not make any sense at all, so it got me to wondering...

crossdline11

Also, what about the car thing I mentioned? Can they make you fix up an old car or they will drop you? Just seems like insurance companies are looking for anything to drop a customer.

las365

Before you do the work, ask for a copy of the inspection report so you know you are painting the right wall. Maybe the report will even indicate why the inspector thought that some sort of risk exists with the property as it is.

tammy8

:confused:Insurance companies are NOT looking to drop anyone for anything. They just need to minimizes their exposure to potential claims. How do they know that the paint is peeling off a block building (I have never seen anyone that painted concrete building.....). If you don't like their underwriting guidelines, seek coverage else where but know 99% of the companies follow the same general guidelines.

PS Everything the wind blows hard or there is any kind of storm insurance companies lose money. Especially with all this crazy out of control weather going on in the US. Since you are in a coastal state, be thankful you still can choose your own company and not be forced into a state insurance pool. As far as cars and painting---your paint job does not cause a company to pay out a claim. Liability doesn't matter because most states require companies to provide liability. However with physical damage coverage that is up to each company and their guidelines. Again paint on vehicles is not that huge of a concern---however your unwillingness to correct current issues shows that your likeliness of having some sort of claim is greater than someone who maintains their home, auto, etc.

Betty

Many/most homeowners ins. companies require that "repairs" they find be fixed or they will cancel coverage. It helps protect them from claims.

crossdline11

Ok. You are obviously on the side of the insurance companies and you must not even be reading what I have posted as you are totally missing the point of my post.

1.My house is all brick. It is in excellent condition and well maintained.
2.My garage and barn are both constructed of solid concrete block.
3.The concrete block is painted many times over. It was that way when I bought the place 13 years ago.
4. One side of the garage has some paint chipping which causes no additional risk or potential claim.
5. I said I was going to paint it already as per my Insurance Co's request.

That being said, I am wondering how you came to the following conclusions:

however your unwillingness to correct current issues shows that your likeliness of having some sort of claim is greater than someone who maintains their home, auto, etc.

How do they know that the paint is peeling off a block building (I have never seen anyone that painted concrete building.....).

I AM willing to comply, I was just trying to find out how far can they go, and would the same rules apply to other types of insurance.

And, I woud assume that they know the "paint is peeling off a concrete building" because they came and looked at it, and it is insured as a concrete building.

Also, everything I have insured is in top shape and is very well maintained. How could you imply otherwise from one post?

Now, if anyone would like to offer me the answer to my question that would be great. But the answers I have gotten so far have done nothing for clearing up my original question. Thanks anyway Tammy8, but I need an impartial mediator.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok. You are obviously on the side of the insurance companies and you must not even be reading what I have posted as you are totally missing the point of my post.

3.The concrete block is painted many times over. It was that way when I bought the place 13 years ago.
4. One side of the garage has some paint chipping which causes no additional risk or potential claim.

however your unwillingness to correct current issues shows that your likeliness of having some sort of claim is greater than someone who maintains their home, auto, etc.

How do they know that the paint is peeling off a block building (I have never seen anyone that painted concrete building.....).

I AM willing to comply, I was just trying to find out how far can they go, and would the same rules apply to other types of insurance.

And, I woud assume that they know the "paint is peeling off a concrete building" because they came and looked at it, and it is insured as a concrete building.

Also, everything I have insured is in top shape and is very well maintained. How could you imply otherwise from one post?

Now, if anyone would like to offer me the answer to my question that would be great. But the answers I have gotten so far have done nothing for clearing up my original question. Thanks anyway Tammy8, but I need an impartial mediator.
Your question is a hypothetical one. We don't do hypotheticals. Why? Because every time an answer is given, the person asking the question will come back with "...but what if...".

IF your insurance company requires you to do something that makes you have a question, feel free to ask your question. Otherwise, don't come in here with absurd hypotheticals.

las365

Your question about homeowner insurance has been answered by more than one person. I tried to help you by telling you how to get specific information about the alleged deficiency or risk at your property.

You decided to get rude because you thought one responder was rude.

So if you want to know what your insurance policies may require, why don't you read them? Or pay an attorney to tel you about your responsibilities under your contracts of insurance?

Good day.

crossdline11

My questions were never hypothetical at all. If you go back to my first post I asked two questions. They were:

1. My question is, where is the line? (On what they can require of you).
2. Do they have a right to tell me to paint, and if so, where is the line before they are just screwing with you?

The second question was answered-yes, they can.

The first was not answered. How much can they require of you?

All the other advice was just a dog-pile.

And, why would I pay an attorney when they have such lovely sites as this one to seek "free advice"?

Obviously I am on the wrong site as I thought I would be getting advice from professionals, not just opinions from people that know about as much as I do.

Good day back at ya! ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My questions were never hypothetical at all. If you go back to my first post I asked two questions. They were:

1. My question is, where is the line? (On what they can require of you).
2. Do they have a right to tell me to paint, and if so, where is the line before they are just screwing with you?

The second question was answered-yes, they can.

The first was not answered. How much can they require of you?

All the other advice was just a dog-pile.

And, why would I pay an attorney when they have such lovely sites as this one to seek "free advice"?

Obviously I am on the wrong site as I thought I would be getting advice from professionals, not just opinions from people that know about as much as I do.

Good day back at ya! ;)
Obviously :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT NOTICE
FreeAdvice.com has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding information and "advice" free since 1995 with thousands of professionally prepared and reviewed articles, questions and answers in more than 100 categories in the Question and Answer pages at FreeAdvice.com. THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS AND OTHER FORUM PAGES WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM and are provided AS IS. The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums. Use of the Forums is subject to our Disclaimer and our Terms and Conditions of use which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum is never a substitute for personal advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com. Copyright since 1995 by Advice Company. All Rights Reserved.

JustAPal00

The problem with peeling paint on a block/brick structure is it allows moisture to seep in. A properly painted structure will keep moisture out. Moisture can cause the blocks/bricks to soften and eventually crumble.

moburkes

The insurance company believes, based on claims filed with them over the years, that people who do not maintain their property properly file more claims. Apparently this inspector believes that the poorly maintained side of your garage, if that is the actual part in question, is in poor repair.

Having said that - they don't care that you've been with them for 30 years. They don't. Not when it comes to claims. They care about the bottom line. This is a large corporation and they have no loyalty to you - outside of your contract with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">