• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance repair job gone bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catdog23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? in

water leaking thru interior walls. insurance gave me 2 companies to go with if wanted to. got both estimates. sent 1 estimate to ins., got ck from ins. went w/other co....(1 of the 2 ins gave me)

co.replaced chiimney saying that would fix water problem...only to find out 6mths later, water leaking again.
called co. they are still scratching heads and cant figure it out.
ive made calls myself only to find out - it is most likely a chimney liner that needed replaced, not the chimney.

isnt the co. still liable for ajob not done? they were pd to fix the water leak, and its still leaking.

this was 1000.00 job pd thru ins.

however the ck cut to me from insurance was a bit more then what co. charged?
what do i do? thanks!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? in

water leaking thru interior walls. insurance gave me 2 companies to go with if wanted to. got both estimates. sent 1 estimate to ins., got ck from ins. went w/other co....(1 of the 2 ins gave me)

co.replaced chiimney saying that would fix water problem...only to find out 6mths later, water leaking again.
called co. they are still scratching heads and cant figure it out.
ive made calls myself only to find out - it is most likely a chimney liner that needed replaced, not the chimney.

isnt the co. still liable for ajob not done? they were pd to fix the water leak, and its still leaking.

this was 1000.00 job pd thru ins.

however the ck cut to me from insurance was a bit more then what co. charged?
what do i do? thanks!

**A: have you talked to the contractor's license board?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you talked to the insurance company to find out how you can return the excess money?

moburkes

The insurance company didn't hire the contractor - they merely made a suggestion. You CHOSE the contractor. You deal with the contractor or their licensing board to come up with a solution.

ecmst12

The contractor was paid for the work they did. If additional work is needed to fix the problem, then additional payment will be needed.

catdog23

where does one find a contractors licensing board? thanks.

co.was hired to fix where the water was leaking....its still leaking...
so the job that was paid for, apparantly wasnt the correct job needed to fix the leak. so thats the homeowners own fault? sorry im confused.

catdog23

The insurance company didn't hire the contractor - they merely made a suggestion. You CHOSE the contractor. You deal with the contractor or their licensing board to come up with a solution.
not saying insurance's fault whatsoever...just trying to include facts for better answers...thanks!

HomeGuru

where does one find a contractors licensing board? thanks.

co.was hired to fix where the water was leaking....its still leaking...
so the job that was paid for, apparantly wasnt the correct job needed to fix the leak. so thats the homeowners own fault? sorry im confused.
**A: I agree, that is why you need to be dealing with the contractor.

ecmst12

It's not that it's your fault. It's that unless another contractor says the first guy SHOULD have known it needed job B instead of job A, and is willing to testify same in court, then the contractor was making a good faith effort to fix the problem and deserves to be paid for the job they did. And if the problem still exists and now they want to try job B to fix it, then they need to be paid for job B too. Your insurance should be willing to make additional payment if the additional repairs are necessary to fix the problem, it's all part of the same claim.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Too bad our OP was more than happy to attempt to defraud the insurance company the first time around...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">