• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance and roommates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stuckwaiting

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm a bit of an odd bird; I'm a young, high-wealth individual who lives with roommates (I wouldn't have the money that I have if I weren't cheap).

I do not own a car (live in a major metro. area and dont need one), but I rent ~1-2 times a month. I hold non-owners car insurance and renters insurance.

I would like to add a $1 million umbrella. The problem is that my insurance company wants information about my roommates (beyond their names; they want the drivers license numbers) so that they can exclude them from the car coverage.

Normally, car insurance covers you when you drive any car, and anyone who you have authorized when they drive your car. Since I have non-owners insurance, it covers only myself driving any car.

I don't want to cheat the insurance company, but it would be quite awkward asking for my housemates' drivers licenses as we are not that close (ugh, don't ask). There doesn't seem to be an option of simply including only myself in the insurance.

If I were to sign up for the umbrella and not mention the roommates, and were to need the umbrella for some reason other than a car accident in which one of them drives my car (they would absolutely never be allowed to drive any vehicle that I am in charge of. Not a chance.), could the insurance be invalidated?

moburkes

It doesn't pay to lie to them. The questions they are asking, while they seem super intrusive, are absolutely normal. Your roommates' insurance companies should have asked the exact same questions about you and the other roommates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">