• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT was ROBBED by Host Family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksontran41

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska.

Dear fellow ladies and gentlemen in the forum,

I am an international student currently studying in Lincoln, Nebraska. Before summer vacation, I left my luggages at the host family house where I was staying during my school year. I just came back for the school year of 2014/2015. I recently asked the host family if they can return my property (the luggages), since I am moving into a new host. They gave my luggages through an agency woman, which is my educational consultant for foreign students, and she brought them to my house. Later when I got my luggages back, I opened them and I thought some items are missing? I constantly checked and checked and further I've realized I have lost so many items that worth up to $7000. I knew that the host stole it, as honestly they were financially poor and are illegal immigrants.

I have told the school about it but they told me to be patient as they would help me, even though I'd like the help from the authorities (police). I find their actions are extremely inappropriate and I am just seriously furious. Therefore, I would really really appreciated to hear from you guys what can I do and what should I do in order to solve this. Sincerely thank you all and I appreciate all the questions and the suggestions.

Sincrely,

An International Student who is trying to calm and not doing any stupid actions.

P.S: there were 2 luggages. One was not locked, and one had a TSA lock but I didn't reset to my own passcode (means that the factory default passcode is 0-0-0)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
$7000? What pray tell did you lose that was worth that much? Especially if you only had two suitcases?

Proserpina

Tell us more about the illegal residents please, and how they managed to meet the requirements.

(They do have to qualify - it's not like calling up Katniss and Peta and dropping you off without checking them out)

Proserpina

Let me correct. They were coming from Mexico and working as janitors. Somehow they acquire a temporary residence permit.

Um..no, that's not quite how it works. You don't get temporary residency to work as a janitor. Someone is either lying, or completely clueless about those things.

I suspect this is a not-so-legal-actually situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Um..no, that's not quite how it works. You don't get temporary residency to work as a janitor. Someone is either lying, or completely clueless about those things.

I suspect this is a not-so-legal-actually situation.
I suspect that the OP is simply a bigot.

Dave1952

Since this is posted in the "insurance" section of the forum, I'm guessing that you wish to file a claim. You have several problems. It does not sound as if you have notified the police of the theft. Your story of having lost $7000 will not be credible without receipts. Have you notified your insurer of the theft?

jacksontran41

Sry I didnt know that it is insurance, I saw a section called theft.

I've talked to my school and they are reaching the agency woman since she has held the responsibility to gather my stuff and choosing that host. I hope you guys can give me some suggestions. Im going to file a police report soon. Thks a lot
Sincerely,

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I've talked to my school and they are reaching the agency woman since she has held the responsibility to gather my stuff and choosing that host. I hope you guys can give me some suggestions. Im going to file a police report soon. Thks a lot
Sincerely,
The longer you wait, the less credibility you have.

Just Blue

Sincerely,
Sry...But why again are the host "parents" legally required to store your stuff?

Thks;)

Blue

BTW...I suggest if you post on a legal advice site you use your "big person typing".

ETA: There is no forum on this site called Theft.

Last edited:

Dave1952

Contact your parents. If they can afford to clothe you in such expensive clothing then they will probably have insurance. Please understand that your clothing may not be covered by their insurance. Still, it's worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">