• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chiGal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

When I was away my french door opened. Due to which my water pipes in dry wall busted. Some of the water over flowed and affected the unit below me. Cosmetic defects. Before leaving I had gotten my door checked from locksmith and heat was also on. I filed a liability claim. My insurance is saying it is not my liability as it was an accident. According to them I did everything I could to best of my knowledge. My HOA says it my fault as it was my door. My question is if my insurance says it is not my liability do I need to pay for repairs. It was actually an accident. I had indeed locked door to best of my knowledge.

I am already paying for all my repairs and dry walls.

tranquility

Refer the HOA to your insurance carrier, let them handle it.

Water is a more difficult issue than usual for a number or reasons. You may have more duty to protect your neighbor from water than you might from sand or whatnot. True, there does not seem negligence in your facts. But, let your insurance company's attorneys handle this. That's what they do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">