• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost everything in fire, can I get compensation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Error

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My mother's home burned down about 2 years ago, and she lost everything. It was an apartment above the kitchen of a restaurant, the fire started in the kitchen after they closed. Fortunately, nobody was hurt but we lost everything and we dont have insurance. What kind of lawyer should I look for, and what can I get out of this? I want to see what I can do before I run out of time because this happened Nov. 2008.

Also, it was an Italian restaurant and the whole thing seemed fishy. I usually found that the fire alarm system was not turned on or not working, but it wasn't really any of my business until the fire.

ecmst12

YOU can't get anything. But the SOL for property damage in NJ is 6 years, so your MOM can talk to a lawyer about whether she might have a case. She would definitely need documentation of what she lost though, because that's what she *might* be owed compensation for, and I don't know if she still has any records after all this time.

I hope she is properly insured now. Renters insurance is the best $10-25/month you'll ever spend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">