• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Louisiana Homeowners insurance claim question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bacchetta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Hello, 10 years ago i had a contractor build my house. Recently I noticed water damage to an outside dormer. I contacted insurance and began getting quotes. The quotes came back all at a little over $5500. I have $2000 deductible.
I filed a claim and the insurance co sent out an inspector. The inspector came back with a $1000 estimate. After multiple calls and emails the agent told me that the dormer was built with substandard materials and it was their obligation only to replace what was there. I then received a phone call from the contractor I was going to use and he told me the agent called him and told him to fix it just like it was and make sure the cost is below $2000 (he had no idea of my deductible, just that was the figure the agent gave him). He is uncomfortable "dumbing down" his work.

So I'm faced with rebuilding the damaged area the same and it happening again.
Is it normal for an insurance company to do this?

The agency contacted the original contractor, who is no longer building houses, to see if there was a possible recourse against him... but Ive been told that its a dead end.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

justalayman

why should the insurance company be responsible for upgrading your home? (hint, they aren't.) If the original work was substandard it is your obligation to take it up with the builder.

I am no expert, but I have had water damage from a leaking roof. My insurance paid to repair the damage to my walls and ceiling, but not to fix the leaking problem with the roof.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

I am no expert, but I have had water damage from a leaking roof. My insurance paid to repair the damage to my walls and ceiling, but not to fix the leaking problem with the roof.
That's because wear and tear (deterioration) of the roof is excluded while the interior structural damage is covered.

Had your roof been damaged by wind, the roof repair would have been covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">