• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Homeowner's won't cover my stolen ATV from my property!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aliceb

Texas

My brand new ATV was stolen from my property on Monday but my Homeowner's Insurance will not cover the pay off amount. I will never see the ATV again. Is there anyway to get my insurance to cover it or at least pay a portion.

The ATV was in my backyard, in my barn.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why are they saying they won't cover it? Was the barn locked? Were the keys in the ATV? Was the ATV worth an amount which should have had it under an additional rider?

aliceb

No, the keys were not in the 4 wheeler; it was in Neutral inside an unlocked barn. Of all nights that we don't lock it up, huh? Anyway, we owe $6000 on it. I was not the one that talked to the insurance so I am not sure the reason. All i know is they said that it was not applicable

Any advice? I realize that we bought it and have to pay for it, but is there anything out there that helps in circumstances like this?

moburkes

Why are they saying they won't cover it? Was the barn locked? Were the keys in the ATV? Was the ATV worth an amount which should have had it under an additional rider?
No ATV is covered under homeowner's insurance, which I told him in another thread. It is covered by special lines insurance, or ATV insurance, which he didn't have.
You can't buy insurance after the fact. It won't cover prior claims. If that was the case, people wouldn't buy insurance until after they've been involved in an accident, or been diagnosed with some horrible disease.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No ATV is covered under homeowner's insurance, which I told him in another thread. It is covered by special lines insurance, or ATV insurance, which he didn't have.
You can't buy insurance after the fact. It won't cover prior claims. If that was the case, people wouldn't buy insurance until after they've been involved in an accident, or been diagnosed with some horrible disease.
I never thought insurance would cover prior acts. Sorry if I led you or OP to believe that! And I hate when people post in more than one thread.

byrd42

Homeowners' Insurance specifically excludes the ATV as follows;

PROPERTY NOT COVERED

Motor vehicles or all other land conveyance nor vehicles or conveyances NOT subject to motor vehicle registration, UNLESS used to service the Insured's Residence or assisting a handicapped person.

ceara19

They may have. However, MANY people get the insurance policy started, to get the vehicle, then don't pay another bill.
And then they complain when something happens and they have to continue paying for something that they no longer have.

tammy8

Homeowners' Insurance specifically excludes the ATV as follows;

PROPERTY NOT COVERED

Motor vehicles or all other land conveyance nor vehicles or conveyances NOT subject to motor vehicle registration, UNLESS used to service the Insured's Residence or assisting a handicapped person.

What did you use the ATV for EXACTLY? Recreation? Hunting? Where was the ATV when it was stolen?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">