• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbors dog had a heat stroke at my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlbraves

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My depressed elderly neighbor, who I have taken an interest in being nice to, called me a week or so ago and asked if her dog could come over and spend time with my dog because her dog seemed so lonely when she had to leave. I agreed. The dog came over. I put the dog outside to nurse my 8 week old son, letting the dog in about 20-30 minutes later. The dog began acting funny. I called the owner, her daughter, and after that the vet. The daughter said she would pay me to do it if I ended up taking the animal to the vet. I did not get the owner to answer the phone. I took the elderly woman and the dog to the vet when she got home. The dog ended up with a heat stroke, and the hospital bill is $650.

Today I had a note in my mail box asking me to talk to my homeowners insurance company to avoid paying out of pocket for the animal bill.

The elderly woman did not tell me the age of the dog, nor that it couldn't go outside. I see the dog outside often for time periods over what I let it out for. The elderly woman told me it was not my fault at the vet.

Am I liable at all to pay the vet bill?

I have no interest in paying, but I don't want to further destress the depressed elderly woman if I don't have to make this ugly. Suggestions or advice?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My depressed elderly neighbor, who I have taken an interest in being nice to, called me a week or so ago and asked if her dog could come over and spend time with my dog because her dog seemed so lonely when she had to leave. I agreed. The dog came over. I put the dog outside to nurse my 8 week old son, letting the dog in about 20-30 minutes later. The dog began acting funny. I called the owner, her daughter, and after that the vet. The daughter said she would pay me to do it if I ended up taking the animal to the vet. I did not get the owner to answer the phone. I took the elderly woman and the dog to the vet when she got home. The dog ended up with a heat stroke, and the hospital bill is $650.

Today I had a note in my mail box asking me to talk to my homeowners insurance company to avoid paying out of pocket for the animal bill.

The elderly woman did not tell me the age of the dog, nor that it couldn't go outside. I see the dog outside often for time periods over what I let it out for. The elderly woman told me it was not my fault at the vet.

Am I liable at all to pay the vet bill?

I have no interest in paying, but I don't want to further destress the depressed elderly woman if I don't have to make this ugly. Suggestions or advice?
**A: I would say you are not liable.

justalayman

I put the dog outside to nurse my 8 week old son, letting the dog in about 20-30 minutes later. The dog began acting funny.
I would expect the dog to act funny too. Why do you think the dog would nurse your 8 week old son?

I would think you would have allowed your son to nurse in the house though.

This is a very odd situation.

Yes, I know what you meant. I was simply making light of your improper phrasing as it made me laugh.

HomeGuru

**A: too funny.
I saw a photo of a big kid nursing from a cow just this week.

I would expect the dog to act funny too. Why do you think the dog would nurse your 8 week old son?

I would think you would have allowed your son to nurse in the house though.

This is a very odd situation.

Yes, I know what you meant. I was simply making light of your improper phrasing as it made me laugh.

dlbraves

Actually, I'm an AP Language teacher and use examples of sentence structures that create ambiguity. Good catch, that is a funny one.

*the dog did have access to shade and water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">