• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's tree limb cracked off and leaning against my tree, will damage fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michigan120503

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

While outside raking last night my husband noticed that a big tree that is on our neighbor's property has a VERY LARGE limb that has 99% cracked/broken from the main tree trunk. It looks like the only thing that stopped the limb from cracking all the way off the trunk is the fact that it is leaning against the top of one of our pine trees behind our deck. All it's going to take is one good gust of wind and that limb will separate from the trunk, and as it falls it will damage not only branches of our pine tree on its way down, but will fall on top of our chainlink fence that separates our yards. The fence is ours. Depending on what the pine tree does, it could also result in damaging our deck which is maybe 5' away from the pine tree in our backyard.

My husband went over to their house last night and showed him what had happened. The guy said he'd call someone about it today - hopefully he did. I plan to probably give them a call tonight just to see if they got a hold of anyone. My question is, is this his responsibility to pay for removing this large limb? It's only a matter of time and that limb WILL fall, and all the damage it would cause will be on our property, not his. I don't want to wait for that to happen and then make a homeowner's claim, but I don't think we should have to pay for removing that limb. He didn't say anything last night about sharing the cost or anything...legally, who is responsible?

Last edited:

moburkes

You can remove any portion of that tree that is overhanging your property. It is your responsibility, not your neighbor's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">