• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New H/O Policy Inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetiesmom09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I recently moved my H/O policy to a new carrier. The effective date is not until 8/23, although the mortgage company has already paid the premium (they are very efficient). Yesterday I received a letter from the company informing me that an independent inspector will be coming to view the exterior of my property - taking pictures and viewing the property from all sides -- to ensure the "policy and premiums are accurate and that [the] home is properly protected." I knew there was a possibility this could happen so I wasn't surprised, and my home is not in bad condition but I have no idea what to expect. My agent assures me that these things are usually routine but he also told me this insurance company didn't usually do inspections so I'm not really believing a lot of what he's saying right now!! So I'm asking a more objective group of people - you folks - what can I expect from this? Is there a typical way they go or is it impossible to predict? Like I said, I keep my home maintained and I'm pretty sure that I'm insured for the correct amount but I've been around long enough to be cynical so I know there's always something that can be found if a company wants to. I don't know if I can name the insurance company so I'm not naming them but I will if anyone asks. Thanks.

tammy8

Most homes are VERY UNDERinsured for replacement cost, especially older homes. I don't know of a company in my state that doesn't have routine inspections of property. That is to protect YOU and protect themselves.

The most unacceptable conditions I see on home inspections are roof issues, rotten wood in window trim, decking, or under gutters, Broken windows, peeling paint, no railings on decks, chained dogs, broken down vehicles and appliances in the yard. Most inspectors don't come inside and you rarely know they were there. They usually measure the house, take pictures of the roof and then any potential exposures.

If your home is in good condition I would not be concerned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">