• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying Referral Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LoraJL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Is it alright for Insurance companies to pay referral fees for new clients? I am not an insurance agent but because of the type of work I do in the mortgage industry, I frequently run across folks that are in need of homeowner's insurance or are paying really high rates for their current coverage. ( mostly seniors)
My question is: is it allowable for companies to pay a fee if I would refer someone to them and they open an account?

I would not want to do anything unethical or illegal.

Thank you for your help

moburkes

In most states the answer is no, although I was just notified that it is now legal in AL, as long as the referrer receives a nominal fee whether or not the customer purchases the policy. Also, you asked specifically about an insurance company providing a fee to you, but it would be illegal if an insurance agent provided that fee to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">