• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possibly being sued for water damage of neighbor's townhome

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emmerlor

What is the name of your state? MD
Last year, my neighbor noticed water damage in his basement. At the time, he thought it was being caused by leaking water from a bathroom. Now it is a year later and he is now saying that the water damage has been caused by rain water outside from our drainpipe getting into his basement possibly from the roof. No legal action has been started yet, but I want to be prepared and I'm not sure how to proceed. Do I get a lawyer, or go through my home owner's insurance? How do these kinds of things get proven? If it is proven that it is our fault, are we responsible for the entire damage for the year, even though we just found out about it this month?:eek:

moburkes

I don't really understand the cause - effect scenario, but, yes, contact your HO company IF he decides to sue you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">