• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Insurance - Failure to pay following mediation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hurricane Ike

Louisiana

I have a Hurricane Ike claim that was settled in mediation and I have a signed Settlement Agreement. 30 days have passed and the insurance company has not paid. Now what?

Hurricane Ike

Did I accidentally log on to GoAskYourMother.com?

I cannot call them because I was represented by counsel. My attorney is off for the weekend, and I wanted a second opinion, so to speak.

These a-holes categorically denied all claims on the Gulf Coast stating that, and I am literally quoting their transcript, here, "Hurricane Ike was not a wind event."

It is their SOP to deny all claims, wait for litigation, and settle for a fraction of the policy limit in mediation. It is a great business model - they only have to pay people with big enough balls to chase after them.

So, we go to mediation 22 months AFTER the house is demolished, they sign a Settlement Agreement that states all monies to be paid in 30 days. The settlement was not great, but fair. So, why am I surprised that they ignored this?

I paid my premiums. I didn't take government handouts. I filed my claim within 48 hours of landfall based on aerial photography of the lot, before the area was even open following mandatory evacuations. I bent over backwards to accomodate all of their requests in the assessment of the claim. I amicably settled in mediation. Once again, they are derelict in their responsibilities.

Can they just ignore the Settlement Agreement?
What is my recourse?

ecmst12

Call your lawyer on Monday and ask if he has received the payment yet (you were represented, so it should be sent to him). If not, ask him what the next step is.

Hurricane Ike

I have an email out to him. It was confirmed that the check had net been received by the attorney or the office by EOB Friday.

moburkes

I have an email out to him. It was confirmed that the check had net been received by the attorney or the office by EOB Friday.
Your question is beyond our scope. We're not attorneys. We work in the insurance industry. Your attorney is better equiped to handle your question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">