• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on homeowners insurance on home still in deceased person's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JRC1967

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello -

I am currently living in the house that I lived in with my mother. She passed away a few months ago and we still have not probated the will. Her homeowners insurance has now run out & I need to know how I can insure the property. My brother and I were to split everything 50/50, which will include the house. I know the house needs to be insured, I am VERY nervous that it is not right now, but I am unsure how we can insure it since we do not own it. The house was owned free and clear, so there is no mortgage in the picture. Do I have to wait until we probate and then have the insurance in both my name and my brother's name to make it legal?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give!

justalayman

it sounds like you need to open probate so the executor of the estate can purchase insurance for the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">