• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rainy Basement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carmenpsl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
On Sunday morning, we noticed that the hardwood floors in our living room, kitchen, and family room were raised as if they got wet. We did notice any water in any of these areas. My husband thought it might be the humidity. We went to a home improvement store to purchase a dehumidifier, hoping this will prevent the problem from getting worse to the floors. When we returned home we noticed a very awful odor when we entered the house. It smelled like vomit. My husband went to the basement to install the dehumidifier we purchased and that is when he saw the water just pouring down in the basement, it look as if it was raining in the basement. Water was everywhere and ruined all our personal belongings. We immediately called our homeowners insurance and they sent out a restoration company that same day. We had to stay that night at a hotel because we needed to shut off the water to the house. The next day we contacted the plumbing company that did the plumbing when our house was being built and they came out immediately. The problem of the water damage was the pot filler they installed over the stove was not glued to the pot filler at all; this small forgotten problem caused severe water damaged, not only to our personal property in the basement but our hardwood floors. The plumbing company has submitted a claim because they were the result of the damage. My questions are that we do not know what to do at this point? My husband does not want a claim under his name if the problem was caused by the plumbing company. What should we do? We have contacted an insurance public adjuster. Should we involve a lawyer, as well? We really do not know what options we have. The plumbing company was negligent with the installation and they are willing to cover the damages, but I am not sure if this is the right thing to do. My house is completely in disarray and it has been two days and no one from my insurance or the plumbing insurance has contacted us. Please advice...

JustAPal00

Let your company handle it, it will save you lots of headaches! They will go after the plumber if they are responsible.

moburkes

Once you called your insurance company you "made" a claim "under your name". Now, they might subrogation against the at fault party, but the claim already exists.

moburkes

At the end of the post she said that she didn't want an insurance claim in her name. But at the beginning of the post she stated that they'd already called the insurance company to notify them. Once they did that, they filed a claim "in their name". So, the claim doesn't just go away simply because they changed their mind. The claim will show up whenever she goes to shop for insurance, but she will be able to (hopefully, because her insurance company subrogated against the at fault party) prove that this was poor workmanship, and that the at fault party ultimately paid the bill.

But the claim itself will not go away.

HomeGuru

At the end of the post she said that she didn't want an insurance claim in her name. But at the beginning of the post she stated that they'd already called the insurance company to notify them. Once they did that, they filed a claim "in their name". So, the claim doesn't just go away simply because they changed their mind. The claim will show up whenever she goes to shop for insurance, but she will be able to (hopefully, because her insurance company subrogated against the at fault party) prove that this was poor workmanship, and that the at fault party ultimately paid the bill.

But the claim itself will not go away.
**A: oops, I meant the second sentence of your post.

moburkes

**A: oops, I meant the second sentence of your post.
It appears that the insurance company will make at least a partial payment for this claim. Due to the severity of the problem, they are offering coverage for mitigating the damage. Although they might later stop writing checks, they appear to at least appear to be covering stopping the leaking while the fault is being determined. So, they'll have spent some money. Since a determination of fault will likely be made, they will attempt to recover their money spent by asking/suing the plumbing company. If they can get that money back, great, the claim will show up as paid, but with a notation that it was subrogated and a recovery of funds made. If they choose not to pursue it or don't get their money back from the plumbing company, then it will still show a paid claim without the notation. That's all.

moburkes

Great, you used the tense of the word subrogate properly this time.
Didn't even catch that mistake. Thanks. You could have been more clear in telling me where I messed up. It was a simple typo. I thought you didn't understand my explanation.

HomeGuru

Didn't even catch that mistake. Thanks. You could have been more clear in telling me where I messed up. It was a simple typo. I thought you didn't understand my explanation.
**A: I was using the "teach a man to fish**************......" technique.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">