• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recoverable depreciation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rattanotsay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

Im trying to help out my parent since they dont speak english. and I have no clue when it comes to homeowner insurance stuff. Im just wondering if anyone can give me some pointers/advices.
My parent has a house insurance policy with liberty mutual. they recently file a claim to replace a roof due to hail damage.
they had $1000 deductible on the policy (replacement cost coverage). anyway they went through the entire process with the estimate etc.. with the claim adjuster.
the insurance company held back some money for recoverable depreciation?
we got a contractor to work on the roof for less then what the insurance company pay us after the $1000 deductible but we still have to pay out of pocket to replace the roof since they held back some money.
I've submitted the receipt for proof of the roof replacement to the insurance company and they said that since it is less then what they've originally estimated minus deductible, they will not reimburse the money that they held back (recoverable depreciation)? is that true.? Im confused because I've heard otherwise from the original adjuster that i talked to before the work was done?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

moburkes

I think what you're trying to describe is this:

The insurance company will pay the cost to repair the damage to the roof minus the wear and tear that was already on the roof prior to the damage. Some insurance companies will only pay actual cash value (replacement cost minus depreciation), then, with proof that it was repaired, will reimburse the difference between the actual cash value and the replacement cost. However, since the total cost to repair the roof was less than their estimate, you don't get to pocket the rest of the money that they held back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">