• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Referral fees to licensed agents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feelgoodagewell

State - Florida

I'm a home inspector in Florida which is not a state licensed profession yet. I'm wondering would it be legal to give a referral fee to an insurance agent for sending their insured to me for an insurance related inspection? Also, would it be legal to give a referral fee to a real estate agent or mortgage broker or banker for sending a home buyer who wants a pre-purchase home inspection my way?

Dave

moburkes

State - Florida

I'm a home inspector in Florida which is not a state licensed profession yet. I'm wondering would it be legal to give a referral fee to an insurance agent for sending their insured to me for an insurance related inspection? Also, would it be legal to give a referral fee to a real estate agent or mortgage broker or banker for sending a home buyer who wants a pre-purchase home inspection my way?

Dave
Likely yes to the realtor if you're doing it only when they send you customers. Why would the insurance agent send a customer to you for the insurance inspection? Generally, the insurance company, not the agent, determines what 3rd party vendor they use for the inspections.

feelgoodagewell

In response to the question...The insurance agent is informing people about the Wind Mitigation discounts available upon completion of a state standardized inspection form which the homeowner can not do themselves. When shopping for new coverage or calling in to ask how can their insurance costs be lowered, agents now are telling people to get this done...before another agent does and gets the business. That's where I come in. Some say here's 3 inspection companies... call around. Some say call Dave...I want more of the latter. Agents are also referring inspectors for the 4 Point inspection on older homes required by many insurance companies to find out the risk of insuring a home. Some companies do have a "list" of inspectors to pick from but most of the agents I work with have the ability to refer whoever they want. So what about the legality of paying insurance agents a referral fee, and mortgage brokers?
Dave

moburkes

Your response makes sense now. Before it didn't.
It would be very iffy to me. When you complete the wind mitigation inspection, the insured gets a discount. When you complete the older home inspection, the customer gets to keep their coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">